Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2009 17:00

Cannot login from client to do a restore

We use AD for authentication.  My login ID has been given "Administrator" permissions to the Avamar domain in which my clients exists.  I can login to the Avamar Administrator application and perform restores without any problem.  However, when I try to login from the Windows client using the client sys-tray application (which launches a web browser), it fails at the login screen with this error "Authentication was not accepted.  Please try again.".

I do not understand why I can login using the Java application and do restores, yet the client side "web application" does not allow me login using the same credentials.

I am using version 5.

Does anyone have any ideas what might happening here?

Thanks

NJK

January 5th, 2010 13:00

We've just logged a call with Avamar Support. We cant login in to Web Restore from any client using "Avamar/Axion" auth after an MCUser password change. The password change was done by our tech before he left. We have tried creating new users at different domain levels eg./clients and /clients/pcfoo to test the problem. None of which have helped. We also have version 5. Please keep this post current if you have a fix. I wonder if its a y2.01k problem. :-)

Joe

207 Posts

January 6th, 2010 05:00

If you have installed Avamar 5 Client without "Destop Laptop Option" that means you are using standard "Web Restore Feature"

Login to utility node and check the file /usr/local/avamar/etc/avamar.cfg , Please check the value for --hfsaddr=

If this field is blank it wont work, Please change the value and use the IP Address of the Utility Node

For example

--hfsaddr=192.168.1.1

Please test it and confirm.

January 6th, 2010 09:00

Thank you for the suggestion.  Per our Avamar Administrator:

"Both Systems were blank - I updated both of them."

After he made the change, I am still unable to login from the web interface to perform a restore.  I get the same "Authentication was not accepted.  Please try again".

Does he need to restart anything on the Utility nodes?

Thanks

NJK

207 Posts

January 6th, 2010 10:00

Please stop and start EMS

Login to Utility Node as user Admin, Load the Keys

ssh-agent bash

ssh-add ~/.ssh/dpnid

dpnctl stop ems

dpnctl start ems

After restarting the EMS please check if you can get Login.

User Below Syntax to login

User Name : MCUser@/

Client : /clients/abc.example.com

Message was edited by: Amol

January 7th, 2010 09:00

That did not work either.  But thank you for the suggestion.

NJK

January 7th, 2010 16:00

This suggestion worked for us. Thank you and well done. Why would a password change have stripped the node IP out of here?

Joe

207 Posts

January 19th, 2010 06:00

Joe,

Change Password script wont change the configuration file, there is a possibility that the entry for "hfsaddr" was empty since day one.

Web restore was working earlier as all the passwords were default and all the configuration file was unchanged.

When you try to attemp web restore after running change-passwords script, it had to refer to all the configuration file as the "default" values were changed.

I would recommend to check the configuration file on your second grid and then run change-passwords script, if you still face the same problem please open a support ticket for further analysis

There is strong possibilty that during the initial configuration of the server the file was not updated properly

Regards

Amol

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2010 14:00

I just installed Avamar DS Gen3 and everything seems to be working fine.  But none of the users I've created can log into the Web Restore web interface.  I'm typing in the account name, client path, and password correctly (I know that the client path is case-sensitive) but it still says Authentication was not accepted, please try again.  However, the users I've created can log into the MCS just fine and they are able to see what's defined for them.  Any help would be appreciated.  We're running Avamar v5.0.1.  Thanks in advance.

266 Posts

April 22nd, 2010 22:00

Hello Chong,

1.) Please can you confirm that TCP packet routing and bidirectional
communication between theAvamar server and each Desktop client computer
using TCP data ports 7778, 8080, 8105, 8181, 8444, 27000, 28001, 28002, and
29000 are properly configure ?

2.) Second things to check Naming System and connections between each
Avamar Desktop client and the Avamar server including situations where IP
address changes are caused by DHCP and VPN access. Client computers must
have a static, resolvable, fully qualified domain name.

3.) Please let us know if Avamar Desktop/Laptop server "dtlt" is in active
state ?

4.) Are configuration files "krb5.conf" and "ldap.properties" in
"/usr/local/avamar/etc"  are properly configured ?
Please can you send us the files too.
Does the LDAP verification "krb_auth_verify" works properly when you test
connection with your ldap server  ?

5.) When you try to connect from Avamar client side (Desktop/Laptop), what
exact your are getting ? Which error code, notification, warning ... ? 
What exact ?

6.) Did you properly installed Public Key Certificate on client side ?

7.) Try to modify domain name entire in "/etc/avamar/domains.cfg" to be higher then 20.
f.X  ---->  XYZ.COM=22

<< snip >>

# Login Manager Authentication Domainlist Configuration
#
# Format:
#    domainname=domainid
#
#    "domainname" is an (arbitrary) name for the authentication domain.  Users will use this in the"--id=user@domain" parameter
#    "domainid" is a unique numeric identifier.  It is used internally by the DPN (to support domainname changes).

# DPN System Domains  (do not modify these)
unknown=0
avamar=1
default=1

# Customer Specific Domains
#nis=2
#ldap=3
#winnt=4
XXYYZZ.COM=3

# Aliases
#NIS=2
#LDAP=3
#WINNT=4

Regards,

.R

207 Posts

April 23rd, 2010 10:00

Did u try the reply which i had posted earlier ?

Reply no 3, check the hfsaddr value in /usr/local/avamar/etc/avamar.cfg

4 Posts

May 5th, 2010 11:00

Yes I did.  And it worked :-)  However it created a new problem.  Web restore users can log in but now and download their files but they can't log into the Avamar Administrator console and view their (priveledged access) domains.  Or are they not supposed to be able to do that?

No Events found!