Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 28th, 2014 09:00

Cleanup after Avamar Client Download package upgrade

I am currently running 7.0.1-61 and getting ready to upgrade to 7.0.2.47. Support recommended that i upgrade the Clients Download Package (which updates the home pages of the grid with matching client installers). So now that the package is installed (took about 90 minutes to install all RPMs) i am looking in /usr/local/avamar/src and see these directories:

drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root           54 Aug 28 10:34 RHEL4_64

drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root        12288 Aug 28 10:44 clients_7.0.102.47

drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root            6 Aug 28 11:43 clients_7.0.101.61

drwxr-xr-x 54 root   admin        4096 Aug 28 11:43 downloads

This is a pretty significant chunk of storage being taken up in /  . This document https://support.emc.com/docu8622_Avamar-Client-Only-System-Upgrades-Technical-Note.pdf?language=en_US has no direction what to do with these files/directories. Can they be deleted ? What about the file UpgradeClientDownloads-7.0.2-47.avp located in /data01/avamar/repo ?

I next want to download and install the "Client Installers" package, it's a pretty good size as well so i would like to free up the files no longer needed before i proceed.  Suggestions ?

Thank you

133 Posts

August 28th, 2014 10:00

Hello,

You should never delete those directories you listed or their contents manually. That will definitely cause problems.

Since you are still running 7.0.1-61 the clients for that version need to be present. When you finally upgrade your server to 7.0.2-47, the clients_7.0.101.61 should be removed by the upgrade process. (If they don't please contact me, so I can file an escalation to make sure that they take care of it). Actually the /usr/local/avamar/src directory is not in the root partition, it is linked to the /data01 partition on the utility node.

Concerning the avp file in the ...repo/packages directory. After the Avinstaller completes the application of the clients, it should have removed it from that directory. If it did not, it would indicate that the Avinstaller is still running it. You should not manually delete any .avp file in the ...repo/packages/ directory. If there is nothing running in the AvInstaller GUI, but the package, remains, you should open up a case with support to have it properly run down so the AvInstaller can remove it.

Announcement:

ECN - EMC Community Network is pleased to announce a new How To video that Demonstrates How to update the Client Downloads pages on your EMC Avamar Server.

Please follow this link to the video demonstration:

https://community.emc.com/videos/12145

Remember to provide feedback on how useful this demonstration video is to you.

Thank you

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 28th, 2014 11:00

Jeff Cameron wrote:

If you have applied the Client Downloads or upgraded the Server to 7.0.2, then the Client catalog avp is not needed, as both of them will update the Client catalog which is in the MCS.

Why is that not documented in this guide, specifically page 8 where it tells you need to move

UpgradeClientPluginCatalog-version.avp to /data01/avamar/repo/packages

:

https://support.emc.com/docu8622_Avamar-Client-Only-System-Upgrades-Technical-Note.pdf?language=en_US

133 Posts

If you have applied the Client Downloads or upgraded the Server to 7.0.2, then the Client catalog avp is not needed, as both of them will update the Client catalog which is in the MCS.

The intended method of manually deploying and applying an avp is to:

1. Download it to the /usr/local/avamar/src directory.
  2. Validate the md5sum.
  3. When ready to install, copy it (do not move it) to the /data01/avamar/repo/packages/ directory.
    (Only the avp file not the md5sum file, and only copy one avp file at a time.)
  4. After successful installation the avp should be gone.
  5. If no longer needed on another server, delete the avp and its associated md5sum file from the /usr/local/avamar/src/ directory.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

Thanks Jeff,

it's been a couple of hours since the ClientDownload install completed, according to the history page in Enterprise Manager it was installed successfuly. I can also see the new packages listed on the Avamar server home page.  Yet the file UpgradeClientDownloads-7.0.2-47.avp is still there in /data01/avamar/repo/

I will open a ticket regarding that.

What about the location to download UpgradeClientPluginCatalog- avp file ?

Thanks

133 Posts

I'm trying to get Tech Pubs to change that.

The reason we want to copy it is since the AvInstaller deletes the avp after completion we might want to use the file on another server in your enterprise rather than download it again from EMC's FTP site.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 28th, 2014 12:00

Jeff,

i think you misunderstood a little. I am actually talking about a completely different package the technote is telling me to "get".

There is  UpgradeClientDownloads- .avp  ..i know where to get that and i know what it does

There is Avamar_Client_Installers-version.avp   ..i know where to get that and i know what it does

Now on page 8 it talks about UpgradeClientPluginCatalog-version.avp  ..i don't know where to get it from, now that you explained what it does the question is. Why is it even listed in the documentation if you say it's automatically taken care of either by UpgradeClientDownloads- .avp or the actual server upgrade ?

133 Posts

August 28th, 2014 12:00

That kit really came out of a problem we faced when we moved to this new separation of the Clients form the server Upgrade.

Example: Customer has 5 grids world wide, and wanted to start upgrading clients before the server upgrade. So installed Client Downloads on the main corporate Avamar server, system A. Clients were installed on systems that backup to system A. All of their backups worked because the Client Downloads kit was installed on system A so system A got the client catalog in the MCS. However for the other 4 systems B, C, D, & E their clients downloaded the new clients from system A's download page, but when that client running the new version tried to connect to any of the servers B, C, D, or E, their connections were refused because the MCS was not updated with the Client Catalog.

So that precipitated then need for an AVP which just updated the client catalog.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 28th, 2014 13:00

Jeff,

In this scenario, on which grid would you install the client catalog ?

133 Posts

August 28th, 2014 14:00

On those servers that have not been upgraded nor had the Client Downloads/Installers installed, but need to accept connections from newer client versions than the version of the server.

If you upgrade the Server to a new version - You don't need it.

If you update the client Downloads - You don't need it.

If you update the Client Installers- You don't need it.

If the clients are not using a newer client version than that of the server - You don't need it.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

i see, the 7.0.2-47 client will contain a newer certificate that will be rejected by 7.0.1-61 server (for example), unless the servers gets updated with the new certificate as well (via the client plugin catalog package).  Am i on the right path here ?

Thank you for your time Jeff , just trying to understand some of these nuances.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

but installing the plugin catalog a higher version client can backup to n-2 version server ?

133 Posts

The client catalog only controls if connections can be made between the MCS and the Client Avagent.

These are signed Certificate connections to avoid someone spoofing to be an avamar client and restore files they shouldn't be.

Once the connection is made the MCS and the Avagent determine if they are compatible or not.

In general most clients are N-2 and N+2 compatible, and sometimes even more than that, but for specifics on compatibility you would have to refer to the Compatibility and interoperability matrix. The Client catalog does not care about compatibility. Just verification of a properly signed security certificate.

A 7.0.2-47 Client catalog contains the certificates for all versions of clients in the past with a few very old exceptions.

133 Posts

August 28th, 2014 15:00

Correct.

Normally a 7.0.1-61 server does not know about future versions, yet.

Or at least until it's client Catalog gets updated.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 28th, 2014 15:00

Thank you, makes perfect sense now.

No Events found!