Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2010 14:00

Configuring Avamar with Exchange 2007

We have recently installed the Avamar system over the weekend to replace our Symantec Backup Exec environment. With Backup Exec, we were able to do a message level and a VSS backup on the Exchange box. We have a Exchange 2007sp2 box running Win2003 x64 Sp2. My question is will Avamar support both the Backup Plugin for Windows Exchannge VSS and the Backup Plugin for Windows Exchange? Thanks.

BC

2 Intern

• 

137 Posts

July 19th, 2010 14:00

Yes it is supported, you can check the documentation that comes with avamar.... https://youravamar  then go to documents and dowloads and you will the the avamar exchange manual, you have how to set all you want from there.. message level backup, database backup, etc

9 Posts

July 20th, 2010 07:00

I had gone through the Documentation, i could not find a clear answer. This is a new system for us, and I am just learning to setup. Thanks.

BC

2 Intern

• 

196 Posts

August 7th, 2011 16:00

Hi bcoulter

Did you install the windows avm client on all nodes and activate? (Exchange VSS Guide pg 23).

Then install the exchange VSS plug-in (pg 26) this includes the option of installing the Windows Exchange GLR  (message level restores) in addition to the Windows Exchange VSS plugin.

You will need to create a mail user for the GLR to use. Configuring Exchange Server 2007 for message

level restores (page 29). GLR = Granular level Restore

If your mail environment is in a cluster, there is an AVM utility that will configure your cluster.

Configuring the Avamar Cluster Client (Exchange Server 2007 clusters) (page 33).

This will do both DB and (GLR)message level restore.

Hope that helps

2 Intern

• 

196 Posts

August 10th, 2011 10:00

This Question is Possibly Answered

9 Posts

August 10th, 2011 10:00

Thanks for the info. We have resolved the issue.

Brian

2 Intern

• 

164 Posts

December 8th, 2013 16:00

Hi,

For the Exchange Server 2007 CCR mailbox role, does enabling the circular logging with EMC Avamar VSS Full backup can cause any issue over the database consistency ?

215 Posts

December 8th, 2013 16:00

I believe so, here’s a quote from Eng. from a previous thread related to the subject of circular logging and something you should consider.

Note that if a customer chooses to use Circular Logging, they lose the ability to recover to point of crash (using log files on the Exchange Server as part of the recovery log chain).

Instead they would only be able to recover to the point of the most recent backup.

2 Intern

• 

164 Posts

December 8th, 2013 17:00

Yes, I’m doing the full backup every night for my Exchange CCR cluster mailbox, the backup is taken from the passive node.

2 Intern

• 

164 Posts

Cool, many thanks for the quick reply Adam.

as I understand from my current Avamar 6.1 configuration, regardless of the circular logging is enabled or not, Avamar VSS will always take a full backup on the database. So "the most recent backup" that you mention is referring to the last full backup I suppose ?

215 Posts

Yes I’d say that would be true.

However, with circular logging enabled recovering the last BU could result in loss of data as the log could have and most likely has wrapped since the last backup assuming your doing backups once per day.

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

December 8th, 2013 19:00

Hey,

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved. You can also refer to following documents.

Avamar 6.1 for Exchange Server VSS User Guide

Avamar 7.0 for Exchange Server VSS User Guide

Hope this helps!

No Events found!