Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2010 08:00

Gen2 nodes compatible with Gen3 nodes ?

We have a gen2 grid running avamar 4.1, can we add gen3 nodes to this grid to increase capacity ? Or is the different hardware versions in the same grid not compatible ?

May 12th, 2010 14:00

Yes.  You can mix and match different node generations as long as all data nodes within the grid are of the same the capacity (1TB, 2TB etc).

May 13th, 2010 08:00

One day you will be able to read more about that behaviour here..

http://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg110982

..but since the support solution has yet to be reviewed and published I'll copy the contents below:-

Symptoms

An existing Avamar grid with Gen2 nodes is expanded using one or more Avamar Datastore Gen3 nodes.

Whilst backups are taking place on the grid running the OS command "iostat" on the new nodes shows us that disk activity is occurring.

However, the disk activity information is not propagated to the Server Monitor screen of the Avamar Administrator GUI.  The GUI displays the node as having zero disk activity.

Cause

This is behaviour indentified under bug 17172

Resolution

The behaviour has been fixed from Avamar server v5.0.0-413

24 Posts

May 13th, 2010 08:00

I currently manage an Avamar grid running 4.1.1-400 that consists of 6 gen 2 and 6 gen 3 nodes. It works perfectly with one minor exception. The 4.1 software cannot moniter the disk read/write statistics on the gen 3 storage nodes. It does moniter the network traffic to the gen 3 nodes. I wrote a short scripts using iostat with mapall and some ugly awk on the utility node to moniter the read/writes to thne gen 3 nodes. This is a very minor issue and in no way affects performance of the grid. It is simply a reporting issue. Upgrading to Avamar server 5 will solve this issue, I am told. I am currently waiting in line to get our 4.1.1-400 upgraded to 5 for reasons unrelated to this issue.

Brandon

No Events found!