Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2014 07:00

How can I re-register a Universal Proxy with the Avamar management console?

I am attempting to convert our virtual backups to use image level backups with Avamar. I had the image built according to mfg. spcs.  To finish up the process, I need to register the proxy with Avamar.

Using the documentation I have:

1. I confirmed the settings, by powering on the server after deployment clicked finish.

2. Right clicked on the proxy in the VM console and chose Open Console.

3. Since our VM team built the server, I do not know if the registered the proxy or selected quit.

Either way the proxy is not showing in the Avamar MC, so I need to know how the rerigister the proxy, and I do not know how.  Can somone please help me with this?

498 Posts

July 21st, 2014 09:00

you need to register it.

look in the manual for the proxy setup

you need to finish booting it - right now if it is just powered on - but not done with the setup - because you have done nothing to the console - it is not done.

10 Posts

July 21st, 2014 10:00

Which manual are you refering to, I looked into Avamar Administration guide and I cannot find the proxy setup procedure.  I have searched for a VMWare user guide and cannot seem to find one on the EMC site.  Can you provide the link?

498 Posts

July 21st, 2014 12:00

https://support.emc.com/docu48233_Avamar-7.0-for-VMware-User-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

see section on deploying proxies/registering and activating proxies

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 01:00

Hey,

Please according to above VMware user guide to register proxy server. If you encountered problem during registration, please post out the error message. Then check the problem.

10 Posts

July 24th, 2014 08:00

Using the VMWare user guide has helped.  Now my issues is: the UNIX commands.  I have gotten so used to using GIUs that I cannot remember my LINUX/UNIX commands.  I tried to find helpfull cheat sheets on the web, but could not seem to find the rights ones.  Do you have a good cheat sheet for will work good for Avamar?

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

July 27th, 2014 23:00

Yes. You can find command what you want from Avamar Console Command Guide.

10 Posts

July 28th, 2014 05:00

Thank you

Best Regards,

Mark Alvarado

Backup Engineer

Enterprise Data Center Services

The Addison Group/Contractor to Marathon Oil Company

5555 San Felipe | Houston, TX 77056

Tel: (713) 296-4396 | Cell: (832) 499-2839

e-mail: markalvarado@marathonoil.com

2 Posts

July 30th, 2014 12:00

This is how I register my proxies:

Step 1:

To set the hostname on the new proxy, do the following;

1. 1- Log into the proxy via ssh using putty. Username root, password avam@r
  2. 2- Run this script . /opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_set_hostname proxy_name (where proxy_name is the name you want to give to the proxy.
  3. 3- Then vi the file /opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_set_hostname and look for the variable: HOSTNAME="localhost.localdom"
  4. 4- Change the "localhost.localdom" to the name you gave the proxy in step 2
  5. 5- Reboot the proxy
  6. 6- Add VM Proxy name and IP address to the host file:/etc/hosts

Step 2:

To register the proxy

1. 1- Log in as user root and password – avam@r
  2. 2- Run the command /usr/local/avamarclient/etc/initproxyappliance.sh –start
  3. 3- Provide the Avamar FQDN
  4. 4- Provide the domain to register the proxy
  5. 5- Type the new Avamar Software root password different from default value.

Hope this helps.

November 16th, 2014 15:00

Thank you for the detailed steps, Zunicmus!

It's a great help...

15 Posts

May 10th, 2017 23:00

Hi,

Well, I felt properly that the modification within a script is not hte most elegant way to go.

Did some checks and the vami_set_hostname script takes the name from DNS:

So, please work on the DNS entries until You have the "good" result:

GOOD:

# host -W 10 -T 1.2.3.4

4.3.2.1.in-adr.arpa domain name pointer host1.example.com

BAD:

# host -W 10 -T 5.6.7.8

Host 8.7.6.5.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Of course, if You do not wish to change DNS entries the zunicmus'es step 1 will work.

2 Posts

February 12th, 2019 14:00

I was able to follow Step 2 provided by zunicmus to re-register my vProxies successfully.

Many thanks zunicmus

4 Posts

June 27th, 2019 02:00

@zunicmus wrote:

This is how I register my proxies:

Step 1:

To set the hostname on the new proxy, do the following;

1. 1- Log into the proxy via ssh using putty. Username root, password avam@r
  2. 2- Run this script . /opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_set_hostname proxy_name (where proxy_name is the name you want to give to the proxy.
  3. 3- Then vi the file /opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_set_hostname and look for the variable: HOSTNAME="localhost.localdom"
  4. 4- Change the "localhost.localdom" to the name you gave the proxy in step 2
  5. 5- Reboot the proxy
  6. 6- Add VM Proxy name and IP address to the host file:/etc/hosts

Step 2:

To register the proxy

1. 1- Log in as user root and password – avam@r
  2. 2- Run the command /usr/local/avamarclient/etc/initproxyappliance.sh –start
  3. 3- Provide the Avamar FQDN
  4. 4- Provide the domain to register the proxy
  5. 5- Type the new Avamar Software root password different from default value.

Hope this helps.

Many Thanks Bro !!

You saved my Production Avamar VE !!

Regards,

Haikal S.

1 Message

February 29th, 2024 21:35

I know this is older than dirt, but it helped me. The command in newer proxies is:

/usr/local/avamarclient/etc/initproxyappliance.sh register

(not -start at the end)

No Events found!