Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2010 10:00

How do you manage multiple Avamar grids?

Hi there - I was wondering how people manage multiple Avamar grids?

Do you launce the console for each grid?  or do you use EM?

I find myself launcing the console for each grid and just leaving them open for the day...  I was wondering if there was a way to have a separate link/shortcut setup for each grid?  So I do not always have to change the Administrator Server field - depending on which grid I am loging into...

thanks

50 Posts

October 11th, 2010 17:00

It depends on how one defines "managing", "administration" and "monitoring" as a task.

If I was just going to check the overall status of the grids (monitoring), i.e. I just want to know if there were any kind of failures. I want to see my capacity and forescast. -- I would use the EM for this.

And if I find that there are failures and problems (managing/administration) with a certain system from looking at the EM and this is the only time I would log into the specific Avamar Administrator Console.

And is the same in your case, if there are multiple problems and are on the different grids, I would have to log into multiple instances of the Adminstrator Console.

I have notification email setup from the Avamar server and also DPA.

Nevertheless, I do the following every morning regardless:

-- depending on what I see on the EM

• I use putty and log in and run the following:
    • status.dpn
    • dpnctl status
    • capcity.sh
    • sched.sh
    • cplist

6 Posts

October 13th, 2010 08:00

I also contacted EMC Support and in order to have multiple shortcuts that default to the correct Avamar server you can do the following...

1.  Make a copy (or copies) of the "C:\Program Files\avs\administrator\5.0.2.41" (or what ever version you are running) folder to something like:

2.  The default desktop shortcut points to "C:\Program Files\avs\administrator\5.0.2.41\bin\mcgui.bat" so copy the shortcut and point its Target to the correct "_server" directory. Be sure to modify the "Start in" value as well.

3.  Finally, launch using your new icon. Click the Options button and update the "Default Administrator Server" value to list the correct grid.  This will update the xml file in the active path to the desired grid. From now on, that icon will default to the specified grid.

186 Posts

October 27th, 2010 14:00

I just have a favorite setup in IE and get DPA to email all te reports daily that i want to see, Job Card, Capacity, Replication ect... Failed backups. I need to logon hardly ever.

Easy..

196 Posts

April 29th, 2012 07:00

I am new to DPA can you help out on some main reports you use?

Probably should have started new discussion in DPA area.

No Events found!