Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2016 07:00

Import AD attributes into Avamar inventory

Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

We have daily backup reports that send out to our organization from Avamar to report on failed backup jobs. I would like to find a way to add the "Description" attribute for each computer object in AD to this report. Is there any way to import Active Directory attributes into the Avamar inventory in this way? Perhaps a method of calling this data and adding it to during the report building process?

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

1.2K Posts

April 8th, 2016 10:00

Avamar's reporting ability is limited to it's internal database.  It doesn't have good mechanisms to get anything out of AD

You might be better served to use a reporting tool such as Data Protection Advisor.  DPA pulls a host of information from Avamar and can generate considerably nicer reports or create dashboards for easy consumption.  Perhaps you can investigate this product for your reporting instead?  You can find videos on DPA in EMC's YouTube channel - just search for it.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

1.2K Posts

April 8th, 2016 11:00

Sounds like a great plan!  As you start to investigate DPA, be sure to ask questions in the Avamar or DPA forums!

April 8th, 2016 11:00

Thanks Karl, it looks like we have DPA in place. I will dive in and see what it can offer us.

No Events found!