Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2010 09:00

Is it possible to pull Exchange 07 backups via VSS?

I don't see any documentation on using the VSS plugin to backup Exchange 2007.  Is that not available?  Is it going to be?

12 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 07:00

It is possible to backup exchange databases with VSS you will need to run a filesystem backup of the drive containing the databases.  As long as VSS is able to freeze the filesystem you should be able to get a consistent backup.  The only problems with this methodology is that VSS backups with the filesystem plugin will not provide you with any transaction log management since these operations are handled by the Exchange API's hence the reason most administrators use the exchange plugin.  The other problem that may occur is if the the database and transaction logs are contained on different drives may result in a gap between when the backup of the database occurs and the transaction logs.

2 Intern

• 

164 Posts

December 8th, 2013 16:00

Can anyone here please share the documentation or the backup procedures when using Exchange Serve 2007 CCR mailbox backup from the passive node ?

I want to know if enabling or disabling the circular logging can ahve impact on the database consistency outcome ?

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

December 8th, 2013 17:00

You can download Exchange Server VSS User Guide for your Avamar version and search for "passive node" in the "Backup" chapter.

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

December 8th, 2013 19:00

Hey,

Certainly, you can use the VSS plugin to backup Exchange 2007 on Avamar. You can find Exchange Server VSS User Guide from https://support.emc.com

Avamar 6.1 for Exchange Server VSS User Guide

Avamar 7.0 for Exchange Server VSS User Guide

Hope this helps!

2 Intern

• 

164 Posts

Cool, thanks Leo.

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

My pleasure~~

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

December 9th, 2013 20:00

Hey,

Please mark my answer as "correct/helpful answer" if you think they are helpful. Thanks.

No Events found!