Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 23rd, 2011 02:00

Issue backuping several millions of files

Hi

We backup a virtual machine with RDM partition, containing 9 millions of little files (300 GB of data).

The backup has reached the time limit to do that this night (maintenance period of avamar).

What is the best way to backup this machine (with ou without Avamar) ?

Is that possible to snapshot the partition (RDM), and restore granularly ? (for example)

Or what about the block level backup ?

The filecache is not full, it's just a problem of duration.

Thanks

Christophe

49 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 06:00

Stop the maintainence jobs for a day, and let the backup run through the blackout window and all day.

That is what I do for the first NDMP backup jobs.

32 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 07:00

But it's not the first backup, so i'ts not possible neither usefull to do that.

9 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 20:00

Do you have a NDMP accelerator node? This would would improve the backup time significantly...

32 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 23:00

No, as the EMC commercial said that:  "for this of server, with millions of files, avamar is the perfect tool".

It was before we buy it of course...

:-/

December 9th, 2011 08:00

I would guess that the most likely bottleneck is the file scan phase of the backup.  This would mean that the storage device may be unable to feed avtar with files quickly enough to keep avtar busy. 

Test the random read seek performance of the target device using the free 'iometer' utility.  If the device is capable of sustaining 600 seek operations per second then you ought to be able to back up 1 million files per hour. 

Please also refer to esg120355.  Note that it may not currently be visible as it's being reviewed.  If that's the case, check back soon as it contains many tips on how to understand and identify Avamar performance bottlenecks.

No Events found!