Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 17th, 2017 06:00

Linux backup question

When Avamar does a full backup of a Linux system does it pick up anything other than the files and folders? For example, a file and folder backup alone is not sufficient for a Windows system because it does not include the registry and such, therefore you have a VSS system state backup in order to do a bare metal restore. Is there an equivalent of a registry/other system files in Linux?

I'm thinking not, as the documented recovery process for a Linux filesystem is basically "install an OS then recover the files and folders from backup", but I want to be sure.

Thanks.

1 Message

October 17th, 2017 11:00

We do Linux VMware Image backups for a full Linux restore capability. FLR will only recover files/folders.

336 Posts

October 18th, 2017 06:00

Okay, but what is missing from "files and folders" that is there on an image backup? I know the process isn't as neat as an image backup, but the Avamar restore procedure for a Linux machine should still work, shouldn't it?

Besides, what if the Linux server you're backing up is physical?

498 Posts

December 4th, 2017 08:00

I know I am late to the party but  -

LINUX does not have anything like that.

AIX does, its called a mksysb, and you can recreate your server from a mksysb.  But you run it from the server (or nis server) and store it,  It has nothing to do with Avamar backups  .  I just backup the made mksysb's to Avamar.

But LINUX does NOT have anything like this.  your recovery it reinstall a physical and reconfig it.  I believe this to be one of the biggest holes in Linux.

498 Posts

December 5th, 2017 07:00

awesome  ...  will have to look into it to see if the cost is worth it.

Thanks for the info.

(I started on AIX and was so surprised that Linux did not have something like the mksysb)

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 5th, 2017 07:00

No Events found!