Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2015 10:00

MCCLI command to list backups with a specific retention

Sometime in the past, I had accidentally configured the replication from one Avamar grid to another to modify the retention on all backups to 10 years.  I had since then fixed that, but now have a bunch of backups just sitting there until they get cleaned up by GC 10 years from now.

Is there a way to list all backups on an Avamar grid that have a specific retention range, or expiration date > then something?

If so, is there a way to mass delete them with MCCLI?

Just trying to make space before the space gets tight.

BTW: I am on Avamar 7.1 with DD 5.4

Thanks

May 16th, 2015 07:00

There are various methods to do this.. I would suggest using the modify-snapups utility specifying a date range earlier than when you corrected the retention configuration and setting the backups it detects with an appropriate expiration. 

The tool essentially creates a script full of MCCLI commands to modify the expiration of the backups which match the parameters you chose.  You can check the script created by the tool before running it. 

More detail on how to use modify-snapups tool is available in the following article

197986 - How to use the Avamar modify-snapups utility to delete or modify the expiration of backups

Hope that helps

May 17th, 2015 08:00

to modify backup expirations of jobs that have already occurred, I have always used the backup edit command.  Should I have been/need to use this modify-snapups command instead?

May 18th, 2015 00:00

Brent --> If you pass the desired parameters to it, modify-snapups will essentially do the hard work for you by creating a script that contains a bunch of mccli backup edit commands.  It's quite the time saver.

May 18th, 2015 09:00

Oh!  That's good to know, because generating the report from Avamar and then building the commands is a little bit of a pain.  I have finally had some time recently and I have built my own script to extract the client info I need and build the command and run.  Which from what you just mentioned, the modify-snapups command does it for you

Good to know now, thanks!

5 Posts

May 18th, 2015 09:00

Thanks, nr.  I will give it a shot. 

No Events found!