Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2013 06:00

NMM 3.0 or Avamar 7.0 for SharePoint environment?

Hi!

We have a customer that needs to move from HP DP to something better.

So far I’ve not yet decided if Avamar or NetWorker will be our suggested software for the customer.

DDBoost and PowerControls will be part of the solution no matter what software we choose!  

My question to the community is if anyone has experienced that NetWorker or Avamar is better than the other when it comes to backup and
restore functionality in a SharePoint environment?

Is NMM 3.0 and Avamar 7.0 the same when it comes to backup and restore of SharePoint or is one or the other to prefer? 

Regards,

¤¤¤ Jonas

October 18th, 2013 20:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and can go unanswered for a long time. 

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "Avamar Support Forum".

October 20th, 2013 22:00

Pefect, thank you!

Med Vänlig Hälsning!

¤¤¤ Jonas

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

October 21st, 2013 02:00

Hey Slussvakten,

Both of Networker and Avamar all can backup and restore Sharepoint. What products should be used for sharepoint, it is depending on your purpose.

You may know that Networker is a software, but Avamar is mixed Hardware and software product. And Avamar have de-duplication function.

Networker backup the data to Tape or Virtual Tape, virtual disks.

Avamar backup the data to its own space.

So, if your purpose is find a product to backup sharepoint continuously, and you don't have many tapes or virtual disks to store your data, you can choose Avamar as your backup and restore solution.

If you already have many tapes or virtual disks to store your data, and your purpose just like a migration, you can consider to use Networker.

Hope this helps!

2K Posts

October 21st, 2013 11:00

NetWorker and Avamar have similar feature sets for SharePoint. Personally I prefer Avamar's single-use plug-ins over NMM which takes a sort of "one module to rule them all" approach but this is a personal preference. I think it's unlikely that one product will be strictly better than the other for SharePoint -- the decision will likely come down to other factors.

As an example, NetWorker's handling of tapes is better than Avamar's so if long term retention is a factor, NetWorker might be a better choice. If the customer has remote offices, Avamar would likely be the better choice since Avamar supports backup over WAN (for very small sites) and the Avamar replicator is extremely efficient allowing the customer to leverage VDPA, Avamar Virtual Edition or a physical single node system + replication for larger remote sites.

User interface may also be a consideration. If the customer is familiar with another tape-based application, the NetWorker interface may be more intuitive.

October 21st, 2013 22:00

Hi!

Thanks for your answers!

The gap between NetWorker and Avamar is narrowing when things like DDBoost and the NetWorker Backup and Recovery appliance is introduced.

But I agree, there is still some major differences between the products.

My biggest concern is if there are a big difference between them when it comes to SharePoint integration. And since PowerControls handles at least half of the job with restores, I guess it’s fair to say they “take care” of SharePoint in a similar way.

So our decision will be made from other factors than SharePoint.

Thanks again!

No Events found!