Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2015 06:00

Out of Memory for cache file C:\Program Files\avs\var\p_cache.dat

I have a server that backups have failed two consecutive nights.  Here is the error messages:

AVTAR FATAL <5351>:  Main:  Unhandled internal exception Unix exception Not Enough Space

AVTAR Debug-Error <0001> Out of Memory for cache file C:\Program Files\avs\var\p_cache.dat size 1610613280

The current size of the p_cache file is 1.50 gb.

February 16th, 2017 08:00

Thanks all for reporting this issue

Unfortunately the original poster was unresponsive to Pawan’s questions and there simply wasn’t enough information to troubleshoot further. 

The log extract tells us the direct cause of the issue - “Not enough space” and “out of memory for cache file” indicate a lack of memory on the client machine to hold the hash cache.

During a backup both file cache (f_cache.dat) and the hash cache (p_cache.dat) get loaded into memory

Pawan was asking how much RAM is on the client and how large the file cache was so we could get an idea of how much of the clients memory would be consumed during a backup.  He was also asking what type of backup the client was running, since we wouldn’t expect a backup with such a large hash cache to require a large file cache.   The log extract given does not tell us how large the file cache was.

I’d recommend to

1. 1) Ensure that the caches are appropriately sized for the amount of data being backed up (refer to the Operational Best Practices Guide)
  2. 2) Ensure that the client has enough memory to hold the cache files along with any other applications which are in use on the machine.

If further assistance is needed, open a Support Request and refer to KB 495969 I just created to document this issue. When published you should be able to find it via the search page with this query

As an addendum, I’d suggest that if working with DellEMC via chat Support, if the first suggestion made by the Engineer doesn’t help resolve an issue, ensure that the SR be kept open for further investigation.    Our (Support’s) aim is to understand the root cause of every issue we investigate.  We can only do that with your help.

355 Posts

January 5th, 2015 05:00

Hello,

What is size of f_cache and RAM on client ?

Are you running backup for Database or files ?

Regards,

Pawan

54 Posts

April 21st, 2015 07:00

For anyone looking for an answer to that problem, the best EMC live chat could do was:

- Rename (or erase) cache files, restart services.

It work's, but it does not explain what is happening.

1 Message

February 14th, 2017 10:00

Did you ever get an answer for this? Almost 2 years

I am getting this as well when running calling the backup through command line:

2017-02-14 15:25:04 avtar Info <8650>: Opening hash cache file 'C:\PROGRA~1\avs\var\avsql_t0_p_cache.dat'

2017-02-14 15:25:04 avtar Error <18866>: Out of memory for cache file 'C:\PROGRA~1\avs\var\avsql_t0_p_cache.dat' size 805306912
2017-02-14 15:25:04 avtar FATAL <5351>: MAIN: Unhandled internal exception Unix exception Not enough space
2017-02-14 15:25:04 avtar Info <9772>: Starting graceful (staged) termination, error reported in nbackmain (wrap-up stage)

2K Posts

February 16th, 2017 08:00

Also keep in mind that to user-land software like Avamar, memory sometimes looks like disk and vice-versa, meaning the messages could be misleading. Be sure to check both memory and disk space.

No Events found!