Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2010 04:00

Point-in-time restore with SQL Agent?

When using the Avamar agent for SQL Server is it possible to do a point-in-time restore? I cannot see anything in the options.

Alternatively, is there a way of telling the agent to include the flag NORECOVERY which would mean you could then manually restore the transaction logs after Avamar is complete?

I am hoping I dont need to continue doing SQL Server backups (i.e. outside the agent) to maintain the ability to perform a point-in-time restore...

207 Posts

March 1st, 2010 04:00

Point-in-time restore is not supported so far, We already have RFE raised Point-in-time restore is not supported so far, We already have RFE raised to include this option in future release.

No -Recovery and Point in time restores can be done manually. For further information you can read Avamar SQL Client pdf

point.JPG

7 Posts

March 4th, 2010 07:00

Actually I was wrong because you can restore the backup to a normal windows file, and restore that WITH NORECOVERY.

That actually seems more complex for the plugin to accomplish than allowing a checkbox to specify NORECOVERY, but hey ho...

7 Posts

March 4th, 2010 07:00

Hmm, thats rather disappointing. To manually take a sql server backup, and then backup the backup file is very time consuming and seems to place a lot more load on the sql box?

It seems as though the Avamar SQL Agent isnt actually suitable for use in protecting a production sql server, where reverting to the last full backup is not good enough?

Given that the avamar sql agent is effectively calling restore database how hard can it be to integrate NORECOVERY given that the agent already supports some sql WITH options (e.g. replace, move)???

No Events found!