Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AK

March 1st, 2010 09:00

Problem with vSphere image restore

Hi,

we're using Avamar v5 for image level backup of the VMs (vSphere 4 U1).

Backup is ok but when we try to restore a complete VM (via Avamar-Proxy) we get the following message:

2010-03-01 18:29:24 avvcbimage Error <9626>: Fail to connect to virtual disk [LUN11] srdrtapp04/srdrtapp04_1-000001.vmdk (13) (13) You do not have access rights to this file
2010-03-01 18:29:24 avvcbimage Error <9755>: VixDiskLib_Open([LUN11] srdrtapp04/srdrtapp04_1-000001.vmdk) returned (13) You do not have access rights to this file, virtual disk was not restored or modified

We created a new user in VCS used to connect to vSphere as Administrator, so it should not be a problem to access the LUNs.

Any ideas why backup works and restore does not?

Thanks

Andreas

207 Posts

March 1st, 2010 10:00

Open Avamar Administrator->Right Click on Proxy Appliances->Edit , Make sure the desired datastore is selected where you are peforming restore.

Hi,

datastore is selected for all proxy appliances...

anything else I'm missing?

207 Posts

Also make sure that vCentre is added as hostname(fqdn) instead of IP Address, if it fails again please open a Service Request to investigate it further.

266 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 07:00

Did you get your VM back ?
If yes, what was the cause on this one ?

12 Posts

March 29th, 2010 10:00

If you are restoring to a new virtual machine that is a new datastore make sure this datastore is proctected by the proxy

27 Posts

April 20th, 2010 23:00

Did you get a fix for this one?  Just having the same problem, I've made sure all Proxys protect the datastore where the restore is going to be made.  Also the VirtualCenter server is listed as an FQDN . .

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Craig.

April 21st, 2010 00:00

Hi @all,

no fix for that yet..

so far we have opened 6 calls!

Integration in vSphere seems to be veeeery buggy. We're on 5.0.1.32, but things getting worst...

We even installed vSphere from the scratch, to make sure it's not the VMware environment causing problems.

- vSphere backups/restores does not work

- SQL Restores does not work (using the agent)

- Desktop / Laptop Restore through Webservices does not work

- a lot of "unacknowledged Events"

- checkpoint validation fails and noone knows why

Same errors at three independent installations...

EMC is working for 7 weeks on that issues... It can't be something with the installation as we have the same problems at 3 locations.

I'm a bit disappointed that you pay 600,000 USD for a so called "high end solution" and get such a crappy piece of software.

We're using a lot of EMC stuff, like CX or email extender... rock solid. We're really thinking about getting back to Networker or Symantec...

Is there anyone using 5.0.1.32 with vSphere 4u1 intergation that is working?

21 Posts

November 29th, 2010 12:00

Having the same problem.  Running 5.0.3. amnd vsphere 4.1.  Just opened a case with EMC will update if I get anywhere.

GB

February 14th, 2011 13:00

I Have the same problem.

266 Posts

February 14th, 2011 23:00

Hello Maquiavello,

I had same issue for aprox. two weeks ago ...   and I have add vCentre as FQDN instead of IP Address / short name and it was OK after it .

There is also known bug on this one ... but I can not found bug ID and description right now  ... will take a look later and post it if I found .

Rej

10 Posts

February 15th, 2011 07:00

I had a similar problem with 5.0.3 and vSphere 4.1 trying to backup a Windows XP VM.

Weird enough I had the same message with permission denied, and upon further checking I managed to find that vSphere 4.1 created the XP vm with IDE disks attached. IDE virtual disks are not supported by AVAMAR, sais so in the documentation, but the error message is very strange, instead of giving a message that it is not supported, it manages to take a snapshot and create a backup of the XP VM, but it fails to restore it.

One solution to acomplish this would be to use the AXIONFS and fetch the vmdk from there if you really need the data that has already been backed up, otherwise try to not use IDE disks (this applies only for XP vms).

Regards,

February 15th, 2011 07:00

Hi Rej,

Thanks, doesnt Work with the FQDM, what do you mean with "short name"?

Thanks.-

4 Posts

June 30th, 2011 00:00

Hello Andreas,

the same happened to me. My issue was caused by a proxy that didn't have direct access on the datastores where I wanted to perform the restore, even if they were correctly selected in the proxy. The proxy was in a different ESX Cluster with no access to the target datastores where, so it failed. The strange thing is that backups are working across cluster and datastores, restores not.
Hope it hepls
Cristiano

2 Posts

September 20th, 2011 07:00

One thing I've noticed...if you've upgraded from Avamar 5 to Avamar 6 and you're trying to do a "FLR" restore it will give an error simliar to what you're getting.  What ended up happening was the Axionfs needed to be upgraded from dpnaxionfs-5.0 to dpnaxionfs-6.0.  You'd think that the Avamar upgrade should have covered that but it did not!  So that's what worked for me.

No Events found!