Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 25th, 2016 07:00

Reasons for VSS backups taking so long

Hi,

What determines how long a VSS backup takes? One of my Windows Server 2012 R2 servers is taking over 2.5 hours to run its VSS backup, but the backup is less than 50GB. Another Windows Server 2012 R2 server's backup is about 60GB and only takes 40 minutes to do the VSS backup.

Thanks.

336 Posts

Thanks Ian. The filesystem backup only takes ~22 minutes, so I'm surprised the VSS backup takes so long. Do you know why there would be such a difference? With other servers the difference is only minor (e.g. 33 minutes for the filesystem vs 40 minutes for the VSS).

2K Posts

The most significant factors are generally the change rate and the client I/O performance. Around 90% of the performance gain from the Avamar client comes from the file cache. If large numbers of files are changing, this will cause file cache misses and the client then has to spend the time and I/O cycles to process and re-chunk the files looking for changes. The bottleneck for backup speed on an individual client is normally the performance of the client filesystem.

The change rate within the files themselves may also have an impact since it takes time to send changed chunks across the network and wait for the answer but this is generally less significant than the change rate or the I/O performance.

Without running specific tests, it's hard to say what the bottleneck in this specific case might be since there could be other factors (strange data patterns on the client, high latency link, etc.) but this should give you an idea about typical behaviour.

2K Posts

August 25th, 2016 08:00

dynamox raises a good point - if this is a DC, VSS backup could include the Active Directory data which will take significant time to back up.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 25th, 2016 08:00

on my domain controllers, file system backup takes 5 minutes and VSS 2 hours.

336 Posts

August 25th, 2016 09:00

Yes, I wouldn't be so surprised if this was a domain controller. However this server isn't a domain controller, it runs McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator.

No Events found!