Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 25th, 2015 21:00

Replicate single-node to grid (meta-data only) no GSAN

I've looked in several documents, but unable to find an answer. 

I have a customer that purchased 2 x 3 node (M1200) grids, with plans to replicate, metadata only - backing up to DD4500's.  Due to some power restrictions, and the fact they'll be moving DR to a different data center, they would like to install the Avamar grid at their production site, and only a single M1200 node at DR. Once they move to their permanent DR, re-install the single node (after reconfiguring) along with the other 2 M1200 nodes and utility, to create a second grid.

Will this work?  I don't know of anyone else replicating a single-node to an avamar grid, with meta-data only.  I know this won't work trying to write to the GSAN.

Thanks

2K Posts

December 1st, 2015 18:00

This would largely depend on the sizing of the solution and the intended retention at the DR site. You could probably get away with this if the DR retention were short enough, or the replication covered only a subset of the clients.

Following the DR move, the single node system would have to be re-kickstarted and the target grid reinstalled from scratch. If there were a "swing" node available, it would be possible to follow the Avamar / DD system replacement procedure to swap the single node for the grid and that would likely save some time during initial replication but that depends on the availability of hardware. It might be worth asking your local EMC team about this.

No Events found!