Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2014 09:00

Restore VM Image With Multiple VMDKs to Different Datastores

I am looking at how to restore my VM image backups to ESX hosts at our DR site. I tried restoring through the GUI (v7.0.1-61) and discovered that it will let you select the datastores where each VMDK is restored. However you can not select the ESX host or vCenter.

I need the ability to specify the ESX host and vCenter so I started looking at the MCCLI "backup restore" command. It looks like this will give me the ability to specify the ESX host and vCenter. However, now I'm trying to figure out how I need to specify the datastores for each of the VMDKs in the VM image. Example: I need to specify that the VMDK that corresponds to the C drive for the VM goes on datastore A while the VMDK that corresponds to the D drive for the VM goes on datastore B.

Is this possible in one command or do I need multiple MCCLI restore commands to specify the restores for the different VMDK disks?

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2014 09:00

i can select vCenter, datastore and ESX server during VMDK restore ( I am logged-in as MCUser and selected to restore to new VM)

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2014 10:00

I select "Restore to a new virtual machine" and then immediatly on the right select "Configure Destination". The very first screen is where i get to select what what vCenter i am restoring to. That of course means you have multiple vCenters in your Avamar server.

94 Posts

Yeah that's what I'm doing although in this case I don't get the option to select the vCenter. I immediately get asked to enter the name and inventory location. FYI: I am also logged in as MCUser.

94 Posts

What version of Avamar code are you running?

94 Posts

When I try to restore via the GUI (restore to new VM). I get asked to enter the name and inventory location. On the left side of the screen it shows "Host/Cluster" and "Resource Pool" as the next options to be configured. However, once I select my datacenter and press "Next" these two options disappear and I'm asked to select the datastores. After that I get the summary screen. I never get the option to select the host/vCenter.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2014 11:00

i am on 7.0.1-61 , vSphere 5.5

94 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 12:00

Worked with a tech on the live chat. We applied a hotfix but that didn't fix the issue. I'm wondering if we need to be on ESX v5.1 minimum for this to work properly. I've opened a ticket with support.

In the meantime, if I were to script this (so I can specify my ESX host and vCenter) will I need more than one MCCLI restore command to restore multiple VMDKs from the same VM or can I put them all in one?

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 25th, 2014 13:00

just curious if support was able to figure it out ?

94 Posts

June 25th, 2014 13:00

Not yet. The case has been escalated to an engineer. When they figure out what is going on I'll post an update though in case anyone else is having this problem.

No Events found!