Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 25th, 2017 11:00

Restore VM at remote site

I was trying to figure out how you would go about restoring VMs at a remote site if the primary site was cutoff, or destroyed, for an extended period of time.  This is taking into account Avamar to DD with Avamar replication running from primary site to remote site.  Since the vCenter connection is cutoff, or destroyed, obviously, I was wondering what the process is for restoring from the remote Avamar instance. 

Would you just need a stand alone vCenter server, Avamar Proxy, at the DR site to point to, and Avamar could restore to it or do you have to have a copy of the original vCenter at your remote site? 

207 Posts

January 25th, 2017 12:00

You are correct, you need a vCenter at a DR site that needs to be registered on the DR Avamar along with the proxy. Then you can login into the GUI and select the desired VM and perform redirected recovery.

Regards

Amol Powar

17 Posts

January 25th, 2017 12:00

That's right approach, You can  register vCenter and Avamar proxy  with the DR Avamar grid, provided ensure that proxy at the DR site is registered with the DR Avamar server only, as proxy can be  active from only one of the Avamar grid  at a time.

89 Posts

January 25th, 2017 14:00

I'm assuming I also would need to have at least one esx host registered to this vCenter at my DR site.  We have esx hosts already up there but they're registered with our main vCenter at our normal location. 

207 Posts

January 26th, 2017 07:00

You can even register ESX host directly and perform recovery on it. You do not need vCenter explicitly, this will save some time if you need to recover couple of VM for emergency purpose. You may have to remove the ESX from an existing vCenter or deploy a fresh one

Note : If you register ESX as a vCenter than you won't be able to use proxy deployment manager to deploy a new proxy, you have to manually deploy one.

89 Posts

January 26th, 2017 11:00

To register an esx server directly without vCetner, in Avamar Admin, do you just go to add a "Client Type - VMWare vCenter" and put in info for an esx host instead of a vCenter?

207 Posts

Correct

17 Posts

Just to add, make sure you register ESX in Avamar with same permission/account as that for vcenter.

No Events found!