Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 7th, 2012 14:00

Running MCCLI using different accounts

I have seen MCCLI can be used to create users in Avamar (mccli user add).  I understood this can be used to let the user log into Avamar console GUI.  When assigned permissions on Avamar Domain, user can be restricted to his domain only.  Can this user accounts be used to login using MCCLI too?  Seems these users are NOT the operating system users.  This really disconnects the users ability to access Avamar outside Avamar Console GUI.

133 Posts

May 9th, 2012 08:00

Creating a user in Avamar does not create a Linux account on the server  that the user can SSH into in order to enter in MCCLI commands.

Creating additioanal Linux User accounts is not reccomended or supported and is strongly discouraged.

You may give consideration to giving your users access to the admin or root account if you wish so they can issue MCCLI commands, but that also poses risks.

When someone issues an MCCLI command from either the root, admin or dpn accounts they execute the operation on behalf of the Avamar MCUser account.

MCCLI commands (as well as other Avamar commands) should not be idly used to manage an Avamar Server unless you know exactly what you are doing and aware of all the risks and pit-falls associated with each command.

All server management functions should be performed through the GUI.

I hope this information is helpful.

Jeff Cameron

544 Posts

May 7th, 2012 15:00

Hi Siva,

what is the option string you specified for the --role in the mccli user add ? you have the following options:

Specifies the role for the user.

STRING must be one of the following:

• ActivityOperator

• Administrator

• Auditor

• Backup

• BackupOperator

• BackupRestore

• BackupRestoreOperator

• Restore

• RestoreIgnoreFilePermissions

• RestoreOperator

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

May 9th, 2012 06:00

Thanks Ahmed for your reply.  But my question is not related to the command help.  My question is whether users created in Avamar admin console can connect to Avamar grid using MCCLI as it is done by root or admin users, not just be able to login into Avamar Admin GUI.

June 15th, 2017 09:00

Hi Jeff,

if i understood correctly even the "sudo" user is not recommended by Avamar. Correct me if i am wrong.

I want to create sudo users on Avamar for multiple administrators in my Project so that they can use root & admin to run commands, start backups, do restores via Avamar CLI. Is that possible?

2K Posts

June 16th, 2017 08:00

Creating additional OS-level user accounts on the Avamar server itself is unsupported. If you just need to permit users to run backups and restores, you could set up an external mccli server running RHEL or SLES and create user accounts and appropriate mccli profiles there. There is more information on how to configure mccli available in the Avamar Management Console Command Line Interface (MCCLI) Programmer Guide:

Avamar 7.2

https://support.emc.com/docu59578_Avamar_7.2_Management_Console_Command_Line_Interface_(MCCLI)_Programmer_Guide.pdf?lang…

Avamar 7.3

https://support.emc.com/docu69627_Avamar_7.3_Management_Console_Command_Line_Interface_(MCCLI)_Programmer_Guide.pdf?language=en_US

June 16th, 2017 09:00

Thanks for the details Ian. Actually we are trying to automate the restore procedure hence trying a way through sudo users.

Anyways, will take some time to review the documents you suggested and will revert ASAP.

No Events found!