Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2016 23:00

SQL Cluster backup

Hello,

I have a query regarding SQL cluster backup.

We are using Avamar and Data Domain both in our environment. We created CIFS share and mounted on SQL server to dump SQL backup directly into it. Now to backup file sytem and VSS, we are using Avamar.

My question is, Once we install Avamar client on both the nodes (Its a two node cluster), Do we need to use Avamar cluster configuration tool and should configure "Windows Cluster" ? Is it necessary ?

Please let me know if more information is required.

Regards,

Pawan

1.2K Posts

November 14th, 2016 06:00

You can find the Avamar documentation on the EMC Support site.  Find the version of Avamar Server you're using (7.0, 7.1, 7.2, etc.) and you download the appropriate version of "Avamar for Windows Server User Guide".  In this document, there are specific instructions for each version of Windows (2008, 2012) and specific cluster types (Active/Active).  Depending on your version and OS, your instruvtions will vary as to whether or not you use the Cluster Configuration tool.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

498 Posts

November 15th, 2016 08:00

doing cluster backups is different from a normal backup.

I do my SQL backups the same way.  to a DD CIFS. Completely handled by the SQL admins.  That way I am not involved in restores.  And they mange their retention.

things to think about.

Reference:  the physical nodes are the original servers that make the failover cluster

the virtual nodes are the ones that move from being on one phy to another and only contain the drives for the SQL instance.

the virtual nodes use the C drive of the physical server they are on.

So.....

on the physical nodes you only need to backup the C drive (verify this with your admins) but for me there is nothing else on the phy server that I need except the C drive and the VSS backup.  So I have one policy that I put all the phy nodes in for that backup.

Then you have to run the cluster admin tool as mentioned by Karl.

When running this and setting up the backups of the virtual nodes you need to be sure to put Avamar on a DRIVE that belongs to that virtual node.  That way no matter where that virtual node is (phy1 or phy2) it will always have access to ITS Avamar files.

then you setup a separate backup policy (meaning a policy with a specific dataset to only get the drives on that cluster - you might not need to get them all.) be sure on the dataset to exclude .mdf .ldf .ndf  - These are SQL specific files that you would never restore.

Verify with your SQL admin that you don't need to back them up.  You also do not need to do a VSS on the virtual node.

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

November 15th, 2016 22:00

Hi J.H.

We are doing backup in similar way. Since we are using CIFS to backup SQL data, and we have excluded SQL in dataset.

I think I dont need to configure Avamar cluster for SQL. So my understanding was that I still have to configure Avamar cluster for windows (for C drive and VSS) using Avamar cluster tool.

Have you configured SQL cluster or Windows Cluster ?

SQL Av.png

Thank you so much for your response.

Regards,

Pawan

498 Posts

November 16th, 2016 07:00

you are supposed to choose the SQL that should be in the manual the windows is if you have a FS in a cluster , but if you are only going to backup the C drive I don't know why you would do this.

With everything you read, verify with the manual.  I am not responsible if you do the setup incorrectly.

No Events found!