Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

May 23rd, 2012 00:00

SQL DB / transaction log backups for point in time recovery

Hi guys,

Seeing a few older discussions on here about how best to backup databases in 'Full' recovery mode to allow log truncation and point in time recovery. As those are all around ~2010 I wanted to see what people were doing 'now' given the advances in the Avamar agent technologies.

What I need to do is replicate or replace in the most functional way possible what we currently do today with our SQL backups that go to tape. What we do is:

SQL server maint plan:

Run hourly log backups to .TRN file

Run nightly DB full backup to .BAK file

Networker backup job

Run nightly backup, capture TRN and BAK files (job runs after SQL maint plans finish) and capture all files to tape.

My best understanding from the SQL team is that we do the hourly log backups to truncate the logs and keep them at a sensible size on the faster disk.

What I want to understand / know how to do in Avamar is be able to do something that is 'similar' to this..

The priority for the SQL team is that they can restore a database back from any point in time during the day and they need the confidence to know that this will work for our business critical applications were we have commited to not loosing more than 1hours worth of data in the event a disaster / DB corruption.

We are running a gen3 grid on 5.0.3.29 and a Gen4 grid soon to be running 6.1

Our current 'backup window' is defined as 19:00 - 08:00, blackout 08:00-11:00.

Any comments or assistance would be appreciated.

307 Posts

May 28th, 2012 06:00

Hello,

You may run a full SQL backup nightly, after the SQL maintenance plan and then keep running transaction log (incremental) backups hourly throughout the backup window.

For this, you need to have the SQL client assigned to two groups, with different datasets, one with backup type as full and other with backup type as incremental.

For details about the various SQL plug-in options available, please refer to Avamar SQL server client 5.0 user guide :

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-008-826.pdf?mtcs=ZXZlbnRUeXBlPUttQ2xpY2tDb250ZW50RXZlbnQsZG9jdW1lbnRJZD0wOTAxNDA2NjgwNTUxMzVmLGRvY3VtZW50VHlwZT1wZGYsbmF2ZU5vZGU9MGIwMTQwNjY4MDQ4ZDBlMV9Hcmlk

No Events found!