Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2012 08:00

Server 2008 and R2 System State, DR backups and more

Hello,

This is my first post on the EMC community network. I have been using EMC AVAMAR for a little over a year now to backup my datacenter servers. I have MS Server 2008 R2 domain controllers. I am interested in making sure that the method I am using to back up these servers is correct and according to best practices. Hopefully someone on here can assist me with this matter. I have read over the AVAMAR administration guide several times,  Unfortunatley there are parts that I need some reassurance on. For instance, I am currently performing a Windows File System backup of the local c:\ drive. Second, I am also performing a VSS backup as well. According to the administration guide you should uncheck peform DR backup under the settings for VSS, which I have done. In case of a DR situation or otherwise I need to perform an authorative or non authorartive restore I would boot into DSRM and start the process. A few things that I have noticed when performing these backups. First is when I logo onto the AVAMAR admin console and go to backup and restore and select restore for a particular DC I can see the VSS as an option. However, when drilling down on the directory tree I can see that the size of the Bootable System State all show 0. Is this normal? But on the very top of the screen it shows a total size that is around the correct size. To be exact somewhere around 13-14 GB. If anyone can share there experience that would be great. I have attached a picture highlighting what I am observing in red. I hope it helps with depicting what I am trying to describe above.

Thank You,

Vesal Tirgari, DM/IST

1 Attachment

307 Posts

May 14th, 2012 10:00

Hello,

This is normal, the total size for the system state will show the correct size but the individual components of system state will be displayed as 0

Thanks

No Events found!