Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2016 12:00

Setting up Mibs for Avamar and Data Domain

I have the mibs for avamar and data domain. Can someone help me out on setting these up with our monitoring system (we use Nagios)?

In particular I need to know which mibs belong to which device.

Also what does "Number of active avtar sessions" pertain to? It is one of the Avamar checks for our monitoring.

Thank you!

58 Posts

April 28th, 2016 12:00

Thank you! I did and set up SNMP on both data domain appliances. However some of the checks from the mib files don't actually work - I'm not sure exactly what checks from the mib belongs to what device. Since I do not know what the check is referencing, I don't know if it is failing b/c the check is bad or it's failing b/c it shouldn't be checked on that device.

1.2K Posts

"Number of active avtar sessions" refers to the number of active backup, restore or replication sessions in progress.  During your backup window, this number should be quite high, but it could be zero when nothing is running.  I wouldn't recommend issuing a trap for "0" active sessions - that might be normal.

Data Domain is extremely straightforward.  You need to be sure you're using the right MIB for the version of DDOS on the array.  There are minor difference between some versions of DDOS.  Your DD arrays can both send traps and respond to polls.

Avamar takes a bit more work.  Have a look in the Administrator's Guide, called "Server Monitoring".  There are a few setup steps you need to follow.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

58 Posts

anybody?

58 Posts

May 3rd, 2016 07:00

can anyone provide insight on this?

thank you!

1.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2016 10:00

I'm still not clear on what your original question is.  After you've imported the MIBs, you will be able to query Avamar for Avamar-specific events and Data Domain for Data Domain-specific events.  You probably won't have any luck querying Data Domain for Avamar events, for example.

No Events found!