Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

January 15th, 2016 13:00

Setting up second VNX client in NDMP accelerator for Avamar

I'm looking to register our VNX2 a second time with our NDMP accelerator so we have two separate clients for the VNX in Avamar Administrator. That way I'll be able to run more than one backup/restore job at the same time.

Do I register the same data mover to the NDMP accelerator (via avsetupndmp) or does it have to be a different one?

Thanks.

60 Posts

January 27th, 2016 09:00

Exactly,

The client name can be anything you want, I have abandon host names for mine and called them based on the device names we refer to them internally as.  This is helps because we have 3+ VNXs at some sites and 4+ isilon clusters we are backing up.

So my names look like this:

vnx8000.ac1-1

isi03.ac2-1

(the ac# is the accelerator number we have 3), and the -1 is the client number (I have -1 to -8 on most NAS devices)

60 Posts

Yes,

I register our VNX 8 times, On each data set I only specify one path and one stream, that way each volume on the VNX comes out as one "Backup", rather than one large "backup" containing all of the volumes.

I started to do this specifically because I didn't want a giant single export to AER, but there are other advantages, such as, if you have re-run a backup its not re-running everything.

In addition to that, I created a couple additional "Clients" that I use for replication so I don't have to replicate the whole NDMP server but just parts of it.

If you have any other questions please let me know, I can share more details if you need them.

336 Posts

Thanks for the reply. So I understand clearly, do I just run avsetupndmp again and use the exact same details as before (same data mover, same account, same password), but with a different descriptive account name?

336 Posts

January 27th, 2016 10:00

Great, thank you for the information.

No Events found!