Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2010 08:00

Timed out - End

I am seeing a server with about  434GB of data time out in a 10 hour window which in the past typically finished in 2 hours.  However this just started in the last 2 days.  Now in the past I have been able to correct this issue on other servers with uninstalling and then rebooting and re-installing the Avamar agent.  However it would be nice to know what the issue is.  I found on powerlink an article that mentions stoping the backup agent and deleting the f_cache file then restarting the backup agent to fix this however that has never worked.

Thought I would check here first and see if anyone else has dealt with this or something similar.

Thanks

-Benny

2 Intern

• 

137 Posts

November 10th, 2010 12:00

Did you change the RAM on that client server??

If you stop the backup agent service and delete the chache files, then when you perform the next backup it will take a lot of time to complete that bakcup, but when this backup finish the folowwing backups are gonna run faster....

there are a lot of things to check here... type of data, RAM, CPU utilizaction, antivirus, etc

greetings

Oscar

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

November 10th, 2010 12:00

Found my answer!  This is a filecachemax setting. I always took the default which was 1/8 the amount of RAM.

So here is the equation for calculating what you should have as your default. 44bytes per file x N (number of files) x 2 = filecachemax.  I was told to add 10 to the result for growth.  So to fix this I stopped the backup agent, renamed the f_cache and p_cache files.  Created a avtar.cmd file with the following values

--filecachemax=440

--hashcachemax=200

The restart the backup agent and execute a backup.  the first backup takes forever but tomorrow I am hoping for 2hours or less.

Cheers!

50 Posts

November 10th, 2010 15:00

Am interested to know what the results will be. Please do update the thread once you have results. Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

November 15th, 2010 08:00

After the initial backups the scheduled backups ran much quicker.

Server:                            Before                            After                                GB

1. Labserver                    10 hours                         1hour 32min                     420

2.Cluster drive 1              10 hours                          3hour 30min                    520

3.User volume 1               6hours 50min                  5hours 26min                 1100

No Events found!