Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 11th, 2016 13:00

Unplug an active Avamar node?

Our network guys want to reroute the 1 Gb cables going to each of the Avamar nodes.

What do I need to do to move these? Is it as simple stopping the maintenance and scheduler and then unplugging the old and plugging in the new?

2K Posts

October 12th, 2016 06:00

Is this a single node or multi-node system? If it's a multi-node, what hardware generation? Is it integrated with Data Domain?

For pure Avamar systems (i.e. no Data Domain), single nodes can just be unplugged from the network. For Gen4 or newer multi-node systems, you can safely unplug the external network cables without causing an operational issue. Any backups in progress would abort, naturally.

If the system is integrated with Data Domain, if the cables for the internal network will be pulled (even accidentally), or for Gen3 hardware, I would recommend taking a checkpoint and shutting down the software completely.

In any case, I always recommend taking a checkpoint before doing physical maintenance. For a scenario like this, a checkpoint is quick to run and has virtually no cost.

42 Posts

October 12th, 2016 06:00

It is gen4s multi-node and integrated with Data Domain.

Thanks for you quick response

2K Posts

October 12th, 2016 10:00

In that case, I would recommend taking a checkpoint and shutting down the Avamar server software before proceeding.

My pleasure!

No Events found!