Got another problem here...
How do you backup an Embedded SQL Server database using named pipes? We have some servers that for software requirements need to use an Embedded version of SQL Server 2005 and it's making me pull my hair out.
So any suggestions would be appreciated.
No hits on this? I've been trying to exclude the database since it's not needed to be backed up and the SQL agent still seems to try to back it up.
Instead of using Exclude statement for the plug-in, please try to select each database separately in the dataset for backup.
Let me know if it works.
If you are using an Exclusion in the dataset, you may be able to get it to work by setting the exclude to <dbname>/* (where <dbname> is the name of the database you are trying to exclude). If that doesn't work, I believe Ewa's recommendation would be the only way to exclude a database.
Unfortunately Embedded SQL is not officially supported so we can only really give suggestions.
I finally got a good answer on this from Avamar Support. This isn't the first client I've run into this with so I occasionly ask support about it. So the servername\MICROSOFT##SSEE is an instance, thats why the exclude isn't working. In my case I didn't need to back it up, so to resolve it I configured my source data for the SQL dataset to back up \(local) which only backs up that one instance and ignores the MICROSOFT##SSEE instance. As soon as I did this is cleared my problem up.
I hope this helps someone else as I've lost a good time on this one.
Thanks for posting, that's good information!
One of my colleagues in the Engineering department was able to reproduce the behaviour where exclude parameters are ignored by the SQL plugin. He is taking it to the plugin developers so it can be documented (if it's expected behaviour) or corrected (if it's a bug).
WOW this post has been dead for over a year.
I found out recently to backup the embedded database that named pipes must be enabled via the SQL Server configuration manager.
You can. it selectively include or exclude a database. There is a confirmed bug in the current 6 SQL server plugin and the 5 plugin. Support says it should be fixed in the next client release.
I know this is super old but it's the first link that pops in google when googling the issue of using Avamar to backup the Embedded Edition SQL database.
For me what finally worked(or is working thus far still waiting on a scheduled backup to run to see if it completes successfully) was
Un-hiding the database in the SQL Server config manager.
Enabling the Named Pipes connection.
STARTING the SQL Server Browser service. <---for some reason this was stopped on my server.
After doing these three things (and it took me a little over a week to figure out all of this) I was able to perform a successful on demand backup of the SSEE database.
We really don't need to back it up, but I couldn't get any of the above methods of excluding it to work and I just wanted Avamar to stop reporting the error.
Hope this helps people.