Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2011 10:00

VMware File Level Restore Problems

All,

We're running Avamar 5.0.3 and Vmware 4.1 and I've configured vmware image-level backup & restore according to the documentation (300-010-712). Backups from Windows servers are working fine. Also all virtual machines are listed properly on administration -> protected -tab. However I cannot get file-level restore working.

I've configure Axionfs according the document (300-009-660), installed special proxy for restores and I can browse the cifs-share from this Windows 2003 SP2 -server fine.

But when trying to restore a single file from image-based backup, it asks for virtual machine credentials, and I cannot get any further from that. I've tried entering several different credentials: domain admin (for the domain where VC and the virtual machine is located in), virtual machine local admin, vc local admin, restore proxy local admin, cifs-user for axionsfs. All of these just gives error: "536870919 Failed to resolve host". But i have a communication between vCenter, ESX, Proxy and Avamar Grid through DNS. Just made a fresh backup of that and that worked just fine.

I just perform a upgrading VIX package on proxy server to 1.10 but dont solve the issue.

Regards,

Antonio Alves

266 Posts

May 4th, 2011 08:00

Alves,

At the moment there is not a docummented way how to do it.

Easiest way would be retire all clients and backups, remove vcenter and register vcenter and VMs again always with FQDN.

This way old backups will be on MC_DELETED domain, and new backups will be on new FQDN domain. If retention policy is not so long, its a easy way and not risky at all.

If its a productive enviroment, and you dont want to retire clietns, EMC have to rename MCS accounts manually, and this process must be done by engineering part.  Its not easy stuff.

If its the case, please open an SR and EMC Avamar team will asssit you, but I would recommend you first way.

regards,

.r

307 Posts

May 4th, 2011 04:00

Hello Antonio,

Please make sure that the vCenter server is added in the Avamar administrator GUI with fully qualified domain name.

Thanks,

Sandeep.

266 Posts

May 4th, 2011 06:00

do not delete configuration ... there is a way how to do this ...

please let me check the documentation first.

266 Posts

Antonio,

I also saw similar issues with our customers ... and FQDN definition on VSC could solve the issue, but maybe you could update your hosts files on both sides .

11 Posts

All,

My concern is that vCenter is a domain in Avamar.
I cannot edit it, would have to delete and create again, this will cause me to lose the backups already exist.
Do you believe that changing the hosts in the Utility Node and vCenter, the problem will be solved?

Thanks.

11 Posts

May 5th, 2011 11:00

All,

The problem was in the FQDN of vCenter.
I did update the Hosts file on Avamar Grid and the Proxy Windows Restore and it worked.

Thanks

Antonio Alves

No Events found!