Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2015 04:00

What kind of licenses do I need to integrate AVE with DD?

Hello!

We are use Avamar Virual Edition (based on RHEL, AVE version is 7.0) with 2 Tb license and now we are going to update our backup system.
In near future plan is to buy EMC DataDomain and integrate it with our current AVE (one AVE and one DataDomain, no any replaciton).

According our plans AVE will back up data and will store them in DD. In simple - DD will be integrated with our current AVE and will be used as disk storage extension for AVE.

From technical side everything is clear:  I know how to integrate AVE and DD, I know and understand all limitations and restrictions, also I have and read admin guides EMC Avamar 7.0 and EMC Data Domain System Integration Guide (REV 02) and EMC Data Domain Boost for Databases and Applications  Administration Guide (REV 04).

My main problem is that cannot understand what kind and how many licenses do I need to implement this solution.

From EMC Avamar 7.0 and EMC Data Domain System Integration Guide on page 23 I had read that the "The DD Boost license must be installed on the Data Domain system". Also from EMC Data Domain Boost for Databases and Applications  Administration Guide (REV 04) on page 20 I had read that "You require the EMC Data Domain Boost license to use the Data Domain Boost for Databases and Applications (DDBDA) software".

My questions are - does it mean that we need to buy DataDomain, license for DD Boost and no more?  No any additional specific licenses that will allow us to integrate AVE with DD, make backups using AVE  clients and store it on DD disks?

Thanks in advanced.

January 13th, 2015 00:00

Hello Adam.

Many thanks for your answer - I' m really was confused with all those types of licenses.

So, let me to provide you some additional information about my issue.  Sorry if it will take your time.

At the present moment we have Avamar Virtaul Edition 7 with 2 Tb license. It already works fine for few last year. Now we are going to extend it capacity. One of the best for us solution is to by DataDomain. We are going to buy DD2200 with 17Tb and to combine it with our existing AVE. In this integration we are going to use whole disk space from DD.

Also we are going to continue use AVE, some datasets like System State or backups from 32-bit platforms will be backed up to our AVE. Another datasets like backups from 64-bit platforms will be backed up to DataDomain using AVE client and DD Boost technoogy. Also, we are going to use whole 17 Tb from DD into this solution.

And my question again is: does I need only DataDomain and DD Boost license to realize this solution? No any another licenses?

Thans in advance.

Yury.

117 Posts

January 13th, 2015 00:00

Hello,

You are correct, as you already have a capacity license on your AVE you only need acquire a DDBoost license for the Data Domain and nothing else.

Regards,

Adam

117 Posts

January 13th, 2015 01:00

Hi,

Correct, you will only need a  DDBoost license for this solution to work, as long as you have enough capacity to store metadata on the AVE.

As discussed by Jeff in this thread the size of the metadata can vary depending on the type of data being backed up. I would recommend you contact your local EMC team who will be able to review the current AVE capacity and make sure there is enough available capacity to hold the metadata for the 17TBs worth of backups to be stored on the Data Domain.

I hope that helps?

Regards,

Adam

January 13th, 2015 01:00

Hello Adam.

Many thanks, you are really helped me. I believe that soon I will close this discussion.

Is it possible to determine how many place takes metadata our our current AVE? I didn't find anything in Avamar Admin' s Guide and in EMC Support Portal.

And again about licensing:  sellers just told us that we will need AVAMAR X Tb DataDomain Capacity License

I will contact to my local EMC team to anlayze our current situation with capacity.

Thanks a lot.

Last one question - are you from EMC or just end-user of EMC products like me?

117 Posts

January 13th, 2015 05:00

Hello,

I am from EMC, I am an Avamar Subject Matter Expert.

If the Avamar server is currently not integrated with a Data Domain, there will be no measurable space taken up by metadata, the notion of Metadata capacity is only added to an Avamar server once in Avamar 7.x AND a Data Domain is attached to it.

For more details about metadata capacity please review this techincal note.

Regards,

Adam

No Events found!