Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 26th, 2016 09:00

Whats next for AER users?

So it appears that EMC is planning to phase out AER, first by no longer selling new ones and second by eventually forcing everyone to move off it as support phases out.

I realize there are several other options out there and/or coming soon for long term storage, ADME for one, Upcoming products that tie into Data Domain, Cloud Boost, etc.

So the looming question in my mind, as an engineer, how to plan for this phase out.  In our case, and we may be the minority, AER is a big part of our process, and we writes almost all of our data with a 5 year retention.  We have money tied up in investments around tape libraries and tape media that would not look too favorable if I told my management that we are just going to abandon before its fully depreciated.  In addition, going to a cloud option greatly increases our OpEx expenses.

So it looks like ADME may be out best and/or only option but I also feel that that is a pretty large undertaking.

So who else is using AER and is planning this phase out?  Or if you aren't what do you plan to do with your AER tapes?

133 Posts

I concur with Ian.
To get the ball moving, Contact your account representative and they will assist you in determining a best fit and best plan for you.
You will be in a much safer place once you are off of AER.

60 Posts

Thanks, I am in contact with my rep and we have looked over our options in detail,  I am just kind of trying to get some feedback of some other AER users.

2K Posts

Product management has committed to providing a mechanism for importing data from existing AER tapes. Personally, I would plan to migrating to ADMe (or CloudBoost, etc.) for new tape exports. You shouldn't have to do anything special with your existing tapes.

April 26th, 2016 10:00

yea that one is the kicker, until you no longer have data exported via AER, you have to keep a functional AER around.  Luckily in our case, I wasn't able to use AER until after we got to a certain point.  I still have a decent amount of data exported via AER, but once I knew more about ADMe, I got the ball rolling to get ADMe going so I could stop exporting via AER as quickly as possible.

I know I have read somewhere, I believe in some comments on the ADMe forum site, said options are being looked at to help convert AER exported data.  Either way there would still be a significant amount work required to do so.

If you search for ADMe in from the Avamar Community, you should see the top result be" ADMe - Avamar Data Migration Enabler +  Supplemental Material".

Or here is a direct link: http://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-7910

133 Posts

I too like ADMe, and once you have retired the AER, The AER Node becomes a very good host for an ADMe Staging Server.
The problem is how do you get there with the least amount of Effort.
We are all waiting for the AER Tape Converter.

I agree with Ian as well.  As a user of AER and just recently moving to ADMe as of March of this year, ADMe is the way to go.  ADMe is so much more flexible and easier to use.  The hardest part of utilizing ADMe is finding out what method of selecting/staging your data works best for your environment because there are so many different ways.  If you end up not exporting to tape at some point and go to CloudBoost or just a gob of cheap disks locally, make a few adjustments in ADMe and you are done.  I can't saw enough about ADMe.

And no, I am not a paid spokesman!

60 Posts

Where is the ADMe Forum site?

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

October 21st, 2016 09:00

We are in this exact situation now.  Can anyone provide an update about the AER to ADMe data transition that Ian talked about in April?  Is the tool done?  Has anyone used it?  Is it simple or complicated?  What type of time did it take to accomplish?

Thank you, we are also in touch with EMC about this.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 9th, 2017 14:00

There currently is still no developed "transition tool", at present may have to consider parallel installations(AER and ADMe). ADMe team lead can be directly involved with discussions and planning AER take-out deployments and implementing ADMe.

No Events found!