Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2012 12:00

Which table/column in Avamar database has disk usage numbers

Now I am able to connect to query the Avamar datbase, I searched many v_*** tables/views for de-dupe, disk usage imformation.  Now I am confused to calculate disk usage by each VM, or for each backup.  Seems pretty simple with the following table, but if I have to charge per machine, what equation should get it right?  How DPA converts the usage information from Avamar into "Data Protected on Client(GB)", Avg Daily Data Transferred(GB), Change Rate (%), De−Dupe Rate (%)?

1 Attachment

2K Posts

September 24th, 2012 16:00

The "modified sent" bytes are the new data sent to the Avamar Server and stored. The amount of data stored on the grid for any given client can be estimated as the size of the initial backup plus the sum of the  "modified sent" values for each backup currently retained on the grid.

Note that this will only be an estimate because the first client to back up a particular chunk of data will pay the full cost for that chunk, where any subsequent clients will effectively get that chunk for free since it's already on the server. It's also possible for the original client that backed up a chunk to "release" it when the last backup containing the chunk expires. If another client's backups reference that chunk, it will be retained by that client so that will also generate a certain amount of error in your results.

1 Message

July 16th, 2013 14:00

Can you point me to how I can connect and query the Avamar database?

No Events found!