Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2015 09:00

Why do Exchange 2013 VSS backups have such high percentage of new bytes?

I'm backing up two Exchange 2013 servers, full backups once a week and incremental backups the remaining days.

The backups are getting very high New Byte rates, between 30% - 66.5% for incremental and 15% - 30% for full. Each server is about 3.5TB's in size. The incremental backups show about 35GB's of progress bytes each night.

Does this sound right? I think the new bytes is quite high.

The following are the VSS options for the dataset:Exchange.png

73 Posts

November 5th, 2015 07:00

I recommend considering doing a full backup every day.  I bet your New Bytes will be reduced per full backup and you can do granular restore from every backup.  I have 2 Exchange servers totaling 3.3 TB that I do a full backup daily and get around 5% average New Bytes (also saving to a data domain).

The change rates sounds about right from my experience.  Databases never compress as well as other data.  An incremental backup of Exchange is only backing up transaction logs which are a bunch of 1 MB files of all the new data added to the database sense the last full.  By nature they will be mostly unique data so you get a lower deduplication rate.  A full backup of Exchange backs up the .edb files and not the transaction files.  If you only do a full once per week there will be a higher change rate between fulls.

4 Posts

November 12th, 2015 11:00

Thanks for your reply. I changed one of the backups to full. I'm seeing a high GBnew. It's around 150GB's a day.

This just doesn't seem right. I don't know if I'm not backing up Exchange wrong or if it's on the Exchange server side.

No Events found!