Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2014 01:00

Windows 2000 servers backup failure

Hey folks ,

I have faces issues that the backups for windows 2000 server is not happening for past few days .Earlier the backup is running fine .

The backups get failed due to the time to start error where as there is good connectivity between both avamar admin server and the client on all the ports .

We have our avamar admin server on version 7.0.6 where as the client version on 4.1.126-27.

We tried to update the client version to the latest version but the server is not compatible and faces some issues .And these servers are critical servers so we even can't dissect more on it .

Can anyone faces the same kind of issue  and provide what should be next course of action plan  for the successful backup .

133 Posts

October 11th, 2014 14:00

You will have to revert to the 4.1 client, and remain on Avamar 6.0.x.

Don't upgrade to Avamar 6.1, as you will no longer be able to backup your Windows 2000 systems.

82 Posts

October 13th, 2014 00:00

Well, if Avamar is unable to perform the backup, try backing up the server locally using the windows utility or may be configure robocopy for some time.

Best option would be, if plausible, upgrade the windows OS to 2003 or may be 2008 if the hardware supports and there is no application dependency.

133 Posts

October 13th, 2014 06:00

I am sorry, I failed to see that your server is at version 7.0 (7.0.6 is not a valid Avamar Server version, 7.0.2 is the highest for 7.0).

Anyway, contact your sales team to request an RPQ (Request for Product Qualification). There is no charge. If the RPQ is approved, you will be given a solution that will allow your 4.1.2 Win 2K Client run with Avamar 7.0.x.

Be aware that the workaround will not work on Avamar Server version 7.1.x., also the inflight encryption of communications between the Win 2K AvAgent and the server will not be encrypted, however the data being backed up will be encrypted in flight.

23 Posts

October 18th, 2014 03:00

thanks Jeff for the help .

If the avamar admin server will upgrade to the next higher version to 7.1.* then we have to again request to RPQ team for a new solution for it ?

133 Posts

October 19th, 2014 08:00

I am not absolutely certain, but I believe the answer is no.

It is my understanding the 7.0 is the highest version that will support the version 4.1 Client for Windows 2K.

The alternatives are:

1. Migrate your applications off of Win2K servers. I believe EMC has programs to assist in this area, Contact your sales rep.

2. Several customers have opted to use an Avamar Single node server or an AVE virtual Avamar remaining at a lower version of Avamar for support of the Win2K platforms only, and then upgrade their primary Avamar Servers to the latest version.

No Events found!