Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 20th, 2020 09:00

does the Avamar "keep_last_backup" flag apply to retired machines?

Does the Avamar "keep_last_backup" flag apply to clients in the retired domain? I need to know if this flag is set will I have to constantly search the retired machines and delete them to free up space, or will they age out of the system properly once retired?

2K Posts

February 20th, 2020 09:00

This flag is global and applies to all accounts on the system, including those in MC_RETIRED.

6 Posts

February 20th, 2020 10:00

Any chance there is a pre-made script to parse through the retired to remove last backups outside their expiration? We only need to worry about keeping a single backup for machines that are actively in production.

6 Posts

Thank you sir!

2K Posts

Any time!

2K Posts

Nothing I'm aware of, unfortunately.

6 Posts

February 25th, 2020 07:00

One more question if you are still following this. What about the REPLICATE domain. Does replicated policy override keep_last_backup? Since the MCCLI wont work on REPLICATE its going to be hard to clean it out.

6 Posts

February 25th, 2020 08:00

Yeah, makes sense to an extent except, in my experience, DTLT is not its own dedicated grid. So, it really can mess with the other backups. We just happen to have some weird low priority retention policies like 1 weekly backup kept for a week... which means if something fails, there could be a time period where no backup exist.... but you know... its not the whole environment. Even in a DTLT only system... a retired machine likely shouldn't be retained forever and since replication never removes a client, if you have thousands of machines it could be a real pain to re-claim space. A few out of the box scripts that run cleanup could really be handy. Alas... with MCCLI not able to delete out of replicate looks like its manually looking for clients and deleting them one by one!

2K Posts

February 25th, 2020 08:00

The keep_last_backup setting in mcserver.xml actually flips a GSAN configuration setting, so it applies globally as far as I know. It's possible there's special handling for /REPLICATE but I doubt it. The keep_last_backup setting was intended for the DTLT use-case, to keep endpoint devices that have been offline for a while from having to run a new initial.

2K Posts

February 25th, 2020 09:00

There are a number of things about the implementation that are sub-optimal, no argument.

No Events found!