Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2011 15:00

dpnctl stop mcs brings scheduler down

Hello,

when I stop the mcs service with dpnctl stop mcs the Avamar scheduler shuts down too.

When I start the mcs service with dpnctl start mcs the Avamar scheduler doen´t start up.

Is this regular or a bug?

I´m running server build 5.0.3-29 on a RAIN system and the same thing with AVE same version.

Thanks for your help.

266 Posts

March 25th, 2011 01:00

Dave,

This is not bug. I saw this with previous version and with newest Avamar 5.0 SP4 too .
When you start particular component like (dpnctl start mcs), please make sure that all other component are in active state too (dpnctl status).

regards,
.r

223 Posts

March 25th, 2011 01:00

Hi Rej,

thanks a lot.

Do you know what error code 10020 means? I had a look at the Event Code List, but that doesn´t help.

CODE : 10020
GENERATED BY : CLIENT:UNKNOWN
SUMMARY : COMMAND COMPLETED WITH ERRORS, CLIENT LOG SHOULD BE EXAMINED
CATEGORY : SYSTEM
TYPE : ERROR
SEVERITY : 2:PROCESS
DESCRIPTION :
FOR WHOM : FIELD SUPPORT PERSONNEL
REMEDY : CONTACT PRODUCT SUPPORT
NOTES :

Should I open a support call at EMC? I have this event when backing up Windows 2008 R2 virtuel servers with agent backup. The image backup works with all of the servers. The agent backup says "Completed with exclusions".

Do you have any idea?

Regards

David

223 Posts

March 25th, 2011 02:00

When I create the dataset, should I use the Windows File System and the Windows VSS under the "Source Data" or only use the Windows VSS under options?

Now I changed it to "Source Data" is All local Windows File System and VSS.

Or should I only use VSS in the Dataset?

When I use both Filesystem and VSS, the VSS Backup exit full completetd, the filesystem again with exceptions and error code 10020.

As I read in the manual, you need the VSS Backup für DR Restore (BMR) and teh filesystem for restoring single files. If this is right I need both of the Plug-In typs?

266 Posts

Dave,

> I have this event when backing up Windows 2008 R2

Which exact client version you are using .... Can you send us output from the :

# mccli client show-plugins --name=

thanks,

.R

266 Posts

The AvamarClient-windows-x86_64-5.0.106-28 is the latest client version

It could be that the dataset is using the file system plugin and not the VSS plugin.
Please change the dataset to use the VSS one and re-run the backup.

The MCS (Management Console Service) controls the backup scheduler and the maintenance jobs etc.  Shutting it down will also prevent those components from being able to run.

We may wish to start the MCS but not want to (immediately) enable backups or maintenance jobs which is why we can start/stop those components individually.

To start them using the CLI:-

dpnctl start maint

dpnctsl start sched

223 Posts

Hi,

mccli client show-plugin --name shows me.

1,22236, client does not exist

I tried this for every client i have activated

When I look at the activity monitor the client version is v5.0.106-28

No Events found!