Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2010 05:00

windows systemstate, necessary to backup all drives ?

the avamar 4.1 admin guide states :

'do not exclude any folders or files during this backup or you might not be able to recover this client’s

system state at a future date '

I assume this is a best practice , but

I only want the system state and system drive and don't care if I  lose the data on D,E, ...

so  in order to backup the  windows systemstate, is it necessary to select all drives or the C drive  (systemdrive)  enough ?

thx,

Thierry

April 2nd, 2010 05:00

You should just need the C:\ drive

45 Posts

April 20th, 2010 08:00

How are you getting a valid systemstate if your just backing up the C:\ ?

In the dataset for windows filesystem there is an overrride you can put in to include the systemstate for some jacked reason they don't include it into the normal backup.

But be forwarned I have noticed that on some instances the system state backup is 4x larger then what it should be vs. using a standard NT Backup.

139 Posts

April 21st, 2010 08:00

I know the document says to backup everything on the server, but in my experience you just need the System State backup and the C:\ drive to recovery everything. Unless your IIS logs and such are configured on D, E, F, etc drives, everything should come back with a restore.

139 Posts

April 21st, 2010 08:00

The standard NT Backup does not backup the System32 folder, but when you do a system state backup through Avamar, it backs up the system state and the system32 folder. This system32 folder is what causes the backup size to go up. In my situation, I had a server whose system32 folder was 14GB in size (Windows 2003). After looking through each folder, I found that there were IIS logs which were not getting deleted.

45 Posts

April 23rd, 2010 05:00

When I found out that the systemstate wasn't included and I did some digging to find out why the size was so high I then found out about the system32 directory was included.

I have a call logged with an escalation engineer and manager because when a system state backup is called it should just do the system state and when a standard C:\ backup is run there should be a full backup of the system32 directory.

However when I talked with the engineer's yesterday they found almost 30,000 file difference between was backed up with avamar (system32 directory) and the system32 directory that is included with the systemstate.

So our questions are this:

1- Why is the system state not backed up in stream?

2 - Why the additional inclusion of the system32 doing the system state backup?

3 - Why is there a discrepency between the file count when avamar is backing up the system32 and what the system state include is doing? To the best that I can see there are only a few directorys under system32 that it doesn't backup, but not 30,000 worth of files.

Also from what I found out that this is a known undocumented issue and it was rolled into the 5.X release of avamar.

Hopefully I can get a fix and some answers soon...

No Events found!