Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2012 05:00

Big Data Volume - NYSE Euronext - Do you what are Trades / Day there?

I saw a mention on one of the slides that NYSE Euronext does 2.8 billion trades / day. That is given as a pointer of what Big Data is all about. I am concerned about that number as I feel it is incorrectly adding ADV of Shares traded in US Cash Equity to Trades / Day.

Who should I talk to?

2 Posts

July 4th, 2012 21:00

Since I did not see any Reply for a while, I thought I will explain what this is all about. I saw in one of the EMC-Greenplum podcast on Big Data that NYSE Euronext does 2,800,000,000 trades per day. I wanted to know how EMC/Greenplum arrived at this number. I checked on the World Federation of Exchanges Focus report where NYSE statistics (US and Europe, Equities and non-equities) are published as well as NYSE Euronext's Monthly Press Releases. I feel that the number 2,800,000,000 has been arrived at by adding ADVs of US-Europe business in all asset classes. However what you are adding together is not same. NYSE Euronext publishes trades or contracts per day as ADV for all asset classes except Equities in US. For Equities in US, they publish ADV in terms of shares and not trades. Average trade size can be anywhere between 250-350. By adding trades (numbers) and shares (for equities) you have dervived this high number.

Please let me know as it is important for us while we are developing solutions around Big Data for financial institutions. If there is an explanation for the number, please provide it so that I can correct my understanding.

Hope someone will see this and reply.

No Events found!