Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2014 14:00

XtremIO vs Isilon S-Series

I'm a storage admin at an organization using Cognos/Oracle/SQL accessing health information.  We have people running pretty complex queries against a 3TB database that can take close to 15hrs to complete. Current storage is a VNX.  We expect this to grow to 11TB as we are about to pull in much more datasets and more complex queries to follow.  So we're clearly going to need a faster platform to drive down the time it takes to complete queries.  We're looking into all flash arrays and I was also doing some research and ran across the Isilon S-series platform. We had other business needs for Isilon (archiving) so I was wondering if the s-series might be a good fit for this.

As a generalization, which is the better fit for this type of workload?

1K Posts

March 7th, 2014 16:00

You don't specify the workload but most likely XIO since you are using it for databases.

7 Posts

March 7th, 2014 17:00

Yeah, I don't have exact IO numbers yet, but apparently there are some pretty heft IO requirements. A couple of questions for you:

1) Why does this being a DB lend you to think XIO would be a better fit?  I thought Isilon S-series was for high performance?

2)When sizing this type of environment, what should I be looking for?  Typical IOPS, space requirement stuff?

2.1K Posts

March 10th, 2014 02:00

Have you defined the your 15hrs query requires huge IO on storage but no more optimization on DB size. Using distributed storage like XIO and Isilon will significantly improve IO response time and throughput, but it also require distributed query execution (Table partitioning, MPP).

As tbone11 said. you'd better to figure out the current storage requirements and will help do the better planning.

No Events found!