Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2011 08:00

IPMI Configuration on PE1955 Blade Servers

Hi,
Please could someone help me config IPMI on my blade PE1955 servers.
My IPMI setup so far is:
DELL chassis with 2 DELL gigabit pass-through Ethernet modules, only first module is used.
10 x DELL PE1955 blades, circa 2007/2008, all running Windows 7x64 OS (recently upgraded from Windows XPx64 OS) - not officially supported OS by DELL, but works fine for us. I'm looking to use the out-of-band technology so the particular OS is irrelevant.
I pressed ctrl+e after POST load and set the following:
"Enable IPMI over LAN" = enabled
Network Config = "shared" (only NIC1 is connected, as we don't use NIC2 which is just empty on our 2nd pass-through module)
LAN IP address set to static IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.107), with correct subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and correct gateway (xxx.xxx.xxx.1)
setup user id/name = ipmi
setup password = ipmi
I then installed the DELL BMC Utility software on my Win7x64 OS workstation.
Using IPMISH, I executed the following:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SysMgt\bmc\ipmish.exe" -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.107 -u ipmi -p ipmi sysinfo
I get the following error: "Error(0x6f):BMC is not detected."
I have tried turning off my windows firewall and also allowing UDP port 623 through my firewall. I have updated the BMC firmware on the blade servers to v2.03 from v1.69.
None of the other firmware on the chassis/blade servers has been updated since it was purchased back in 2008 (not my responsibility..)
I have found on the DELL site that a DRAC/MC update is available (v1.6.0). We are currently running v1.5.0. Could this be the issue?
Also, as a basic check, I am unable to "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.107" my BMC interface. (I should note this is a different IP address to the actual traffic IP address, which is set to the NIC1).
Should I be able to get a basic response using PING from the BMC MAC address?
Thanks,
Mike

April 27th, 2011 09:00

Hi, it is normal that the BMC does not anwser via PING don´t care about that.
I had a similar case (but with 1855) the problem was in the OS from the client side. i was using win7 and it did not work, changed to XP and it worked.
Did you try using other OS in your workstation?
Regarding the DRAC firmware as you are attacking directly the BMC IP you are bypassing the DRAC so it should not affect. Anyway is a very best practice to have update the DRAC.

8 Posts

June 4th, 2011 15:00

Hi,
Yes, I have now tried executing the command from a Win XPx64 OS machine to a blade 1955 with Win7x64 OS on it and it still comes up with the same error!
Can anyone post a step-by-step instructions on how to get the most basic IPMI commands working over a remote side-band connection to a DELL PE server, like a 1955?
I'm simply trying to send a remote power cycle command via IPMI & side-band to one of our PE1955 blades! Why is this so hard!!
Can anyone help from DELL Tech?
Thanks,
Mike
No Events found!