Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

March 1st, 2022 09:00

Inlet Temperature Sensor Settings

Hello

I'm working with a customer who is running a render farm with C6400/C6525 blade servers. They are getting an Intel Temperature Sensor warning which is very disruptive and there is no performance impact due to heat, so they would like to increase the maximum threshold. What is the max temperature they can set this to? Right now they need it at about 32-degrees Celsius

thanks,

• 

3.7K Posts

June 12th, 2024 20:48

Hello,

Did this occur on an earlier version of iDRAC firmware and just started after updating the DRAC firmware?

When did this start and do you know of anything that changed around the time it started reporting this?

System inlet temperature is outside temp, it has nothing to do with temp inside the server such as cpu, memory, hard drives…

Can you tried lowering the Maximum Warning Threshold?

Configuring warning threshold for inlet temperature using web interface.

To configure warning threshold for intlet temperature:

1. In the iDRAC Web interface, go to System > Overview > Cooling > Temperature overview.

The Temperature overview page is displayed.

2. In the Temperature Probes section, for the System Board Inlet Temp, enter the minimum and maximum values for the Warning Threshold in the Centigrade or Fahrenheit. If you enter the value in Centigrade, the system automatically calculates and displays the Fahrenheit values. Similarly, if you enter Fahrenheit, the value for Centigrade is displayed.

3. Click Apply.

The values are configured.

• 

3.7K Posts

March 1st, 2022 13:00

Hello C.bryson,

I think this is the information you are looking for.

Standard operating temperature specifications:

C6400 : https://dell.to/3C5VYO7

C6525 : https://dell.to/3swcPGW

1 Message

August 4th, 2022 09:00

Hello,

I had currently purchase same unit C6520 our inlet always at 27 and 28C which trigger warning alert. How do you guys fix the issue? Just increase the threshold warning to higher? did you guys open ticket with Dell support and what you guys outcome. According to dell they said the inlet temp should be below 25C, which kind of very low as compare to all other dell poweredge servers

7 Posts

August 21st, 2023 09:36

Dear all !
I have C6400 chasssis, but some node have inlet temperature max is 47 but some have 37. That node same bios version, idrac version.

Can i set same 47 for all nodes ? 
Thank you !

December 14th, 2023 03:13

@RuNguyen​ probably i have the same issue...I have C6520 that are dropping the following log "The Inlet temperature is greater than the upper critical threshold."

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 25th, 2024 14:24

Has there been any fix for this yet?

• 

3.7K Posts

April 25th, 2024 17:19

Hello,

Could you let us know what system you have?

Do you have any image of errors you can post?

Is this something that just started?

Was anything done on the system around the time this started like any parts removed or installed?

Is the datacenter cooling sufficient? Has it had any issues?

Initially I could recommend make sure the system firmware is up to date to have any fixes they may have to be applied.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

June 5th, 2024 18:00

We are seeing this issue too in our C6500/C6525 systems, each has 2x64core AMD 7713 procs. Our firmware is up to date.  Is the high threshold set wrong on these?  

• 

3.7K Posts

June 5th, 2024 20:45

Hello,

What is the error you are seeing?

Inlet temperature is greater than the upper critical threshold

CPU temperature is greater than the upper critical threshold

Or another temperature error? An image of the error(s) may help.

When did the issue start and was anything done on the systems around that time such as hardware added or removed or updates applied?

Do you see any related errors in the System Event Log (SEL) you can share such as fan failures or other related errors?

Could you post the iDRAC firmware you are on?

If it is happening with all the systems; Is the datacenter cooling sufficient? Has it had any issues?

The threshold is set for most typical use, I don't know offhand what that is.

The iDRAC allows you some customization if you need to.

You may try some customization:

Configuring warning threshold for inlet temperature using web interface iDRAC9

https://dell.to/3KQEquV

This article provides some more information on C6525 Standard operating temperature specifications:

https://dell.to/3swcPGW

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

June 12th, 2024 20:17

@DELL-Charles R​ Sorry for the delay.

We are seeing 'Inlet temperature is greater than the upper critical threshold' errors. There are no fan failures or any other hardware errors in the SEL.  IDRAC firmware is 7.10.30.00 (Build 30). This is happening on both of the units we own (we own 2), the temps are consistent across all 8 C6525s.  The ambient temp in front of these racks is reading 20C. We know this isn't ideal, but we expect the inlet temps to be in line with the incoming ambient temps and we don't understand how it's so high. 

Here is the temp output from one:

------------------------------------------
Main System Chassis Temperatures: Critical
------------------------------------------

Index                     : 0
Status                    : Critical
Probe Name                : Inlet Temp
Reading                   : 27.0 C
Minimum Warning Threshold : 3.0 C
Maximum Warning Threshold : 26.0 C
Minimum Failure Threshold : -7.0 C
Maximum Failure Threshold : 27.0 C

It seems odd that you are warned at 26C and it fails at 27C??

Resa

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

September 8th, 2024 10:43

Hi, I have the same issue with 2 C6420.  The inlet temp is max is 27.  Has anyone found a way to raise this?  Is this a Idrac or Bios issue?  For some reason on on it jumped to a max of 47 and on reboot jump back to 27.  I'd like to raise this to about 32 which is less than the spec's in the document.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sid

• 

4.1K Posts

September 9th, 2024 01:38

Hello, we cannot change for the temperature setting. This is set by design. (I assume your iDRAC and BIOS are up-to-date)

If you want a second opinion you can also raise an official ticket through https://dell.to/4cYbn45

Respectfully,

No Events found!