Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2013 23:00

Pcie2.0 mezzanine cards compatible with M620 (later generation)?

Hi,

We have an M1000e and are adding some M620's to it. We have some mezzanine cards from M610's we'd like to put in the M620's. They are Pcie2.0 and according to the M620 technical guide ( http://i.dell.com/sites/content/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/dell-poweredge-m620-technical-guide.pdf ) it says:

"The M620 provides two PCIe 3.0 mezzanine connectors for add-in cards. The M620 has been 

designed to be PCIe 3.0 compliant in order to take full advantage of the processor capabilities."

Typically PCIe 2.0 cards work in PCIe 3.0 slots in non blade servers however I'm not sure whether that applies to the M620 mezzanine setup.

The technical guide goes on to list specifically which cards it's compatible with and lists the following:

"Mellanox ConnectX-3 dual port QDR 40Gb"

However our mezzanine cards are the Mellanox ConnectX-2 dual port QDR 40Gb" (previous version).

Will they work? Are we likely to have problems? Has anyone done this? Or do we have to throw away our cards and buy new ones?

January 29th, 2019 12:00

Hi Dell, any response to this question? Are Mellanox Connect X2 cards compatible with m620 blades?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 29th, 2019 14:00

Hello

The ConnectX-2 is not validated. The ConnectX-3 is validated. The compatibility list is correct.

I suspect that the ConnectX-2 is XAUI. We transitioned to KR, and XAUI and KR do not work well together. If you mix XAUI and KR 10Gb devices then they will either not function at all or will negotiate down to 1Gb, if both are capable of that speed.

Thanks

No Events found!