Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2019 08:00

Poweredge BIOS update for ESX 6.7

Hello, I have to update the BIOS of my two R430 before going from esx 6.0 to esx 6.7 U1. My question is : Can I take the .exe (which is available for Windows in the drop down list at Dell) and do it directly from the iDRAC GUI ? or do i need to use .BIN or .EFI and put it on a USB or CD as it's only what is listed when you select esx 6.7...? It's not clear if the BIOS is different between ESX and windows. It would be so simple if i could do this via idrac... Thanks. Currently : poweredge R430 / idrac 8 / ESX 6.0

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 1st, 2019 10:00

The OS is irrelevant when you're not leveraging it as part of the update process. The BIOS packages are all the same, they're just compiled differently. Using the .EXE to update the BIOS through the iDRAC of your ESXi host is completely valid.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

The iDRAC is able to update the BIOS using the .EXE package. I don't have an iDRAC in front of me, but I believe the path in the web GUI os iDRAC Settings  > Firmware Update. You should be able to upload the package there, then begin the update job.

10 Posts

Yes thank you for answering I know you can update the BIOS as you said but i'm wondering if it's ok to use the BIOS dedicated to Windows guests instead of the one dedicated to ESX? Because there are no .EXE in the driver download section of the DELL website for esx, they are only .BIN or .EFI and these extensions can't be used in iDRAC webGUI...

10 Posts

April 1st, 2019 14:00

All right !! Thanks a lot for your help.

No Events found!