Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

March 30th, 2018 14:00

Quad KR ports report down but link lights are up on PTM module

We have a FX2 chassis with a couple blades in it. . Recently I  swapped out the dual 10gig x710 daughter card on the blades to the quad 10gig x710 daughter cards. .   the duals never showed any problems at all. . However, with the quads - I'm getting random numbers of connections up.  One one blade - it is up, down, down, down.  On blade 2 its up, up, down, up. . 

Not sure why I cant seem to get all four nics up.   The status lights show up fine between the passthrough connection and the nexus. .  However, at windows (2016), it says "cable unplugged" at the network adapters page. .   I've tried reslotting the PTM module, and its not consistent as to which port is not seeing a connection/gbic (like the bottom PTM or the top one).   Stumped as I've been working on this for a few days. .

Since we have a compellent array, we have had one nic port for data, and one for iscsi traffic. . wanted to have another one for iscsi fault domain 2. .   but cant seem to get all four nics working for any of the blades.  

33 Posts

March 30th, 2018 16:00

I should expand. The lights on the PTM all light green. The nexus shows the interface link is up. Just the os is not showing the link is connected. Idrac on the network shows the same thing as the OS - as in two ports up and two ports down (or 3 up 1 down ) eventhough somehow sone connection is being negotiated between the ptm and the switch. Not sure how a ptm should be able to negotiate a successful 10g connection but the host reports it being not connected.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 31st, 2018 04:00

SLED to PTM module mapping is little different when you have Quad port daughter cards. Can you check information in below link and ensure network cables are connected accordingly.

http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/poweredge-fx2/fx2ownersmanual/io-module-port-mappingfour-bay-chassis?guid=guid-a2b88bfb-faca-46d2-8e1d-c618c32cf672&lang=en-us 

33 Posts

March 31st, 2018 04:00

Yes. It’s sctually a lot easier with quads on a half width. Before it was port 1,3,5 on a1 and a2. Now it’s 1-6 on a1 and a2. Basically 1,2 and 3,4 and 5,6 on each psssthrough is mapped and taken.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

April 1st, 2018 03:00

Can you also ensure server have latest FW for iDRAC, BIOS, CMC and Mezz card

33 Posts

April 1st, 2018 07:00

yes. .  FX2 CMC has the latest firmware 2.00 on CMC and 1.2 on MB.

FC630 and FC640 all have the latest firmware NIC and bios installed (most recently a critical one from a few weeks ago).   

currently working on the FC630.. and its not like its 2 which would make total sense since they originally had 2 on them .. but 3 out of 4 are working. .  I swapped one fo the x710 Quads from the other blade onto this one and get the same thing. .  so its not the individual cards.

33 Posts

April 2nd, 2018 11:00

So I swapped out the 10gb passthroughs for an FNIOT card that we have but aren't using. .   The FNIO T cards since they are internal and external switch ports - every single 10gig port reports operational . .    (as in all 12 over 3 cards).     So they are internally operational to the FNIOT switch. .    So i presume this points to a bad passthrough card ?  Its just ironic since its two of them and not a single one. .  But I;ll have to track down where this chassis came from as its the one in our testing  lab. 

was trying to go away from the aggregators since we are uplinking them to our nexus switches. . so I guess i'll have to look at the passthroughs or using the aggregators. .  But never would have thought that the simple passthroughs would be a problem on the chassis. . . .   I mean-  essentially they are passing through and if the link reports working on the main switch port - then it should be working, right ?

No Events found!