Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2013 08:00

AX4-5SC - Windows doesn't see it.

I have a AX4-5SC Storage System running Navishpere Express with FLARE 02.23.050.5.711.  I already have the virtual disks ready to go. On the server side I'm running Windows Server 2008 R2 w/sp1 and 2 QLogic HBA cards, directly connected to the storage unit.  I had originally installed the Navisphere Host Agent 6.29.06.0.3 on this server.  This allowed the AX4-5SC to see the server and it is added to the list of servers and connections on the storage unit.  Then using the storage units web interface (Navishpere Express) I assigned the virtual disks I created to the server.  Now this is where the problem comes in.  I'm new to Fiber, and so maybe I'm missing something.

Back on the server I go to "Disk Managment" and no new disks are showing up.  I can even do a force scan of the disks and nothing shows up.  I went ahead and uninstalled the Host Agent and installed the Navishere Server Utility, but this utility, when I run a scan, does not find the AX4-5SC Storage Unit.  And of course "Disk Managment" still doesn't show any of the disks that were assigned to this server through the web interface of the storage unit.  If I go back to the Storage unit, it still shows the server and still shows that I have virtual disks assigned to it.  I just can't get them to add in Windows.

Any Ideas?  I'm hoping that since I'm so new at this, that I'm missing a step.

4.5K Posts

January 9th, 2013 08:00

In Navisphere Express check in the Connections section and make sure that you see the HBA's from the host Status is active. You should see connections to SPA-0 and SPA-1 as Active.In the Virtual Disks section check that each Disk is assigned to the host - the column "Assigned To".

Last, reboot the host and see if that helps.

glen

January 9th, 2013 09:00

Thanks for the quick response.  Both HBA's for the server are showing as A-0 and A-1, and they are both showing as active.  The virtual disks is showing as assigned to the correct server.  I've rebooted both the server and the Storage unit and still no luck.

4.5K Posts

January 9th, 2013 09:00

Can you go into Virtual Disks and click on VIrtual Disk Access and near the bottom of the page is listed the current SP - example:

Virtual Disk 'Virtual Disk 1' is currently accessed through: SP A

With a single SP AX4, you can only have one SP, so this should be SPA, but just checking to be sure.

glen

January 9th, 2013 14:00

Interesting.  My view was worded a little different than you mentioned but it was showing correctly.  I shutdown the server and the storage unit, reseated the fiber cables, turned the storage unit back on, then turned the server back on and now Windows sees the virtual disks in "Disk Managment".  Not sure why this worked, since I've rebooted both twice, and Navisphere Express was showing the server and connections as active and the virtual drives as being connected to the server.  But it is working now so I'm happy.  Thanks again for your help.

No Events found!