Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2010 07:00

Accessing snapshot on Secondary server in Clariion

Hello,

I have created a session for the production server and created a snapshot as well and attached it to the different storage group. I have activated the snapshot in the clariion and tried to access the snapshot from the secondary server. In the disk managment it is showing but i am unable to access the snapshot on the secondary server. Can someone guide me through. Thanks.

21 Posts

June 9th, 2010 07:00

Hi,

Try activating the session from the secondary server.

admsnap activate -s session_name

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 9th, 2010 08:00

i don't understand why did you format the snapshot ? You just had to discover the snapshot on the secondary server, assign a drive letter and use it (and see all the data from production LUN).  Take a look at that paper that i posted above.

Try a flush using

admsnap flush -o
admsnap start -s -o
admsnap activate -s

Regards

Mansoor

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

258 Posts

when am accessing the snapshot on the secondary server , can i see the  files on the production lun....

258 Posts

Hey Dynamox,

waiting for your reply.....however this is my question i have 10gb production lun on primary server , i idid create a snapsession for that and created a snapshot as well for the production lun and assigned it to the secondary server. after rebooting the secondary server i am able to access the snapshot i gave it a drive and formatted it. my question when we see the snapshot on the secondary server can we see the files of the production lun and modify them from the secondary server.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

snapshot is a point in time view of the production LUN, you see data the way it looked when you took the snapshot. You are not going to see any changes on the snapshot after it has been activated.

258 Posts

I can access the snapshot after rebooting the server and am able to write it as well on the secondary server..... my question here is when am accessing the snapshot on the secondary server , can i see the files on the production lun.....what is the exact neccessity of accessing the snapshot on the secondary server..

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 9th, 2010 09:00

if files got deleted after you started snapview session, they will be available to your secondary server as they will be preserved by copy-on-first write process.

258 Posts

June 9th, 2010 09:00

So lets take a example here....

On the clariion i started a session and on the production lun i deleted 2 files after the session is started..... so here i have already my snapshot connected to the secondary server, i will go back to clariion and activate the snapshot in order to acess the snapshot... so when i assign the drive letter and access the snapshot i will see the deleted files on the secondary server is it what is true?

258 Posts

June 9th, 2010 10:00

Do you have the same kind of document for the clones as well.....

258 Posts

Thank you Dynamox..... i have one last question.....

On the production lun it had 5 files initially so i started a session and deleted 3 files and activated the snapshot connected to secondary server. Secondary server was able to browse all the 5 files. After that i deactivated the snapshot. So on the production lun we have currently 3 files... so here i deleted 1 file and readded 2 files on the production lun and started a new session on the production lun again and reactivated the snapshot pointing to the new session that was created.....i was unable to see the newly added 2 files when i did this... do you have any clue why am missing this..

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

that and other great documets can be found here:

https://community.emc.com/community/support/clariion?view=documents

258 Posts

June 9th, 2010 11:00

Its a windows server so i removed the drive letter and de-activated the snapshot....

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 9th, 2010 11:00

what did you do on the secondary server before you de-activated the snapshot ? Did you un-mount the drive ?  Try running "chkdsk /x /i  F:"   ..where F: is the drive letter of your LUN. Sometimes you have to run it twice.

No Events found!