Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2009 12:00

Additional Disk available in Computer Management

Hello everyone,

I'm sort of a storage-newbie so please forgive me if I totally butcher this question.

System: EMC Clariion CX500 SAN

This is the first time I have ever added a host to our SAN with the goal of add disk to that host. The host boots off of local disks and uses the external storage as a second disk for data purposes.

My predecessor left me very archaic notes on how to add a host to our SAN, so I'm trying to decipher the proper way to do this by looking at a photocopied notes off a notepad (yikes). Also, I've gone through the EMC Video which describes how to add a host, however I think I did something wrong.

When viewing the disk management area on the new host, I have two disks, one says Disk1 (Unreadable) and the other says Disk2 (Basic/Online). Disk2 is formatted and has data on it. However, I haven't touched Disk1. I will say, that I didn't find out until after the fact that I needed to add the second path in the Storage Group.

Where did I slip up? Is it possible to correct the dual-disk issue without losing the data on the LUN?

Here is a snapshot of what the Disk Managment area of the server looks like:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/eeboater/RH1-VCDisk.jpg

If you need any additional information, please don't hesistate to ask for it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

PowerPath needs to take a hold of the second path, if the system is not in production easiest way is to reboot. Right now you are seeing two paths to the same disk which you should not on windows.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

Welcome seanka,

did you load PowerPath for Windows ?

21 Posts

Thanks dynamox.

You know, I've been asking every EMC Storage person I can find "What is the best way to learn this stuff" and I've never been able to get a straight answer.

Thank you for pointing out those documents - I am definitely going to be adding them to my To-Do list.

Thanks again!
Sean

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

order does not matter really , did you reboot after you installed PowerPath ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

you are welcome Sean. There are really good documents that can help you with connecting different hosts, you can find connectivity guides here:

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Host Connectivity/HBAs > Installation/Configuration

Since you are new to Clariion i would like to recommend a couple of papers that can help you manager your array, they are very good readings and can be found on PowerLink.

EMC Clariion Best Practices for Performance and Availability Release 28.5
EMC Clariion Fundamentals for Performance and Availability
Introduction to EMC Clariion Storage Device Technology

21 Posts

Hi Dynamox,

Yep - I have PowerPath installed as well as the Navisphere agent. I did, however install PowerPath first, and the Navisphere agent second. Again - probably noobie move I will admit to. I installed the Navisphere Agent but haven't rebooted yet. I'm afraid a reboot will screw up the path to the disk/make the disk unavailable.

Do you think that a reboot will clear up this issue now that the Agent is installed properly?

21 Posts

Powerpath has been running for a while without the Navi agent installed and without the second path enabled in the Storage Group.

The server had been rebooted several times with Powerpath running, but without the Navi agent running and without the second path enabled in the storage group.

So far, I have not rebooted the server since I enabled the second path in the Storage group and installed the Navisphere Agent..

I'm wondering if the OS/PowerPath will pick up on the fact that the agent is enabled and the new path to the second SP is now available, eliminating that first unknown disk. Would that make sense?

21 Posts

Well, that did it!!

Thanks again Dynamox.

I didn't want to reboot in fear of really screwing it up. But after the reboot occured, PowerPath did its job as it should. The unknown disk is gone and everything looks great!

Thanks again!!

Sean

August 5th, 2009 06:00

After sending myself and others to the training classes in various locations, we bought the video instruction pack CLARiiON Solutions for Small and Medium Enterprises for our junior admins. They seemed pretty happy with the content. The pack isn't cheap, but it was far less than purchasing more training credits. Search for CE-VILTCLNSME at education.emc.com. Hope this helps!
No Events found!