Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2008 11:00

Attaching disks without Powerpath

I have a windows server that is using commvault on datadomain disks. There is a known bug that with commvault and powerpath so I cant use powerpath but I need to present a 300gb disk to it. I have already zoned 1 path to the host and Disk manager sees it, but I cant initialize it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

4.5K Posts

February 1st, 2008 14:00

Don't forget the failover mode setting for the path on the array. With Powerpath failover is set to 1, without Powerpath failover should be set to 0 (no failover software on host).

Open Connectivity Status and select the path and click on INFO - failover should be listed there. Use the Failover Wizard in Navisphere to change it, then reboot host.

regards,

glen

133 Posts

February 1st, 2008 11:00

Mike,

Confirm from Navisphere Manager how many paths you have got logged in and connected for this particular server. Remember that without PP you can only have one single path to a LUN¿
Also use Diskpart to check and if necessary to modify the readonly, hidden and nodefaultdriveletter volume attributes as per below example:

C:\diskpart

DISKPART>list

DISKPART>list disk

DISKPART> select disk 4

DISKPART> detail disk

PowerDevice by PowerPath
Disk ID: 9F0B09CD
Type : FIBRE
Bus : 0
Target : 1
LUN ID : 3

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 5 M SQL 2005 MD NTFS Partition 10 GB Healthy

Verify the Disk ID is set correctly. Note the Volume number as well and use it in the next command:

DISKPART> list volume

DISKPART> select volume 5

DISKPART> list partition

DISKPART> select partition 1

DISKPART> detail partition

DISKPART> detail volume

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
* Disk 4 Online 10 GB 0 B

Readonly : No
Hidden : No
No Default Drive Letter: No
Shadow Copy : No

If any of the ReadOnly, Hidden, or No Default Drive Letter are set to yes, clear them with the follow command:

DISKPART> att vol clear readonly hidden nodefaultdriveletter

Volume attributes cleared successfully.

DISKPART>exit

I hope this helps
Carl

2.1K Posts

February 1st, 2008 12:00

I hope you aren't using that 300GB disk for anything important. With only a single path available to you there are lots of things that could cause a SAN outage for this host!

35 Posts

February 4th, 2008 22:00

calle,

I will give this a shot thanks.

Mike

35 Posts

February 4th, 2008 23:00

Kelleg,

This worked thanks!

Mike
No Events found!