Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

BD

January 15th, 2014 00:00

CX200 Storage Groups

Hi,

As stated in my other post, I have a CX200 I use for a visualization lab.  I am starting to evaluate RHEV.  I have two VMware hosts and will soon have two RHEV hosts.  I need to be able to mask the LUNs from RHEV to VMware...

I am using ESXi5.5 at the moment...  these hosts don't seem to self register their names with the CX200 Flare.

I have the NaviCLI and have been playing around with it, but so far have been unable to get the hosts registered with the CX200.

I also think I need stoage groups, but when I select LUNs for a storage group, the option is greyed out.  I have also tried to create a storage group with NaviCLI.

So just as a sanity check should the above be possible?  Can I create storage groups on the CX200 and can I register hosts with it?

and if so any pointers on how to do so would be appreciated.

looks like my flare version is 2.16.200.5.022  if that is of any help, seems like I read the latest is 19 something?  would it help to upgrade that?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 15th, 2014 04:00

right click on array in Navisphere, go to software tab ..can you list software components on that screen or create a snapshot. Without certain components (accesslogix for example) you can't create storage groups. Also if flare was upgraded but not committed, you can't make any changes either.

January 15th, 2014 08:00

Thanks dynamox, from what i see, I guess that is the problem.

I only have

ThirtyDrive Option

HAOptoin

Flare-Operating-Environment

-NavisphereManager

for my software.

I would guess there is no accesslogix as originally when it was in production it was a direct attach in a MS Failover cluster, so no switch and no need for storage groups or any form of LUN masking etc.

Now that it's in my lab, and I have managed to get an old SAN switch, this functionality would be nice... but I suppose it isn't going to be possible to get.  I had a brocade switch that I bought off of ebay and didn't have the password for it and none of the usual admin passwords worked... brocade wouldn't help out, even though it was for a lab so that I could learn how to zone brocade switches.  So I am guessing EMC isn't going to let me have software for this old unit for my lab either... 

Saying that, we are an EMC customer, we have a VMAX and several VNX5300s.  I don't have a customer login, but I am pretty sure one of my colleagues does, would that let me download old software for this?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 15th, 2014 09:00

looks like you have a lot of EMC gear, talk to your local CE ..i don't see why he/she would not be able to get that enabler for you, considering it's for a lab.

26 Posts

January 16th, 2014 10:00

Hi jogdial,

Regarding that SAN switch you got off of eBay, I wasn't sure if you saw and tried the following doc for password recovery.  If not, it might be worth a shot depending on exactly which switch you ended up getting.

http://community.brocade.com/dtscp75322/attachments/dtscp75322/42102/16/1/FOS_Password_Recovery.pdf

January 20th, 2014 05:00

thanks, but I tried every document out there and contacted Brocade who were MOST unhelpful.  Not bought from reseller, then End of Lifed.. and all I wanted it for was for educational purposes in my lab.  I will avoid doing business with them at any time in the future with that sort of attitude.  The seller on EBay was happy to take the return anyway, so it didn't cost me anything.

Basically, you could boot the brocade into a recovery mode, which gave up a string that you had to send to Brocade an then they run it through their program to give you a recovery password.  That is the ONLY way in. And I tried decoders I found ...  no luck.

In the end,  I got an IBM switch from our old stack of switches on our old IBM SAN which we are shutting down... still a Brocade, but at least I had the password. :-)

No Events found!