Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2011 14:00

CX3-20 Requested Bypass Disks

Hey all,

I just bought a second hand DAE, and it works with my other drives.  However the drives it came with  (146GB 10K, PN 005048807) show as "Requested Bypass" and dont show size info.

I know if they are just any old FC drives they will do this because they expect EMC firmware, but theres nothing i can see that make me beleive they are non-EMC drives.  The HDD model is Seagate Cheetah 10K.7 ST3146707FCV.

I am running the latest FLARE, 03.26.020.5.032.

Any help would be great.

Dan

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

can you slide one drive out and then back in ..does its status change ?

8 Posts

No, but something more interesting is happening.  I removed the cables to the LCC's, and powered up the DAE alone. The ID is 1, which is correct, and all the drives blink amber once long and 3 short, and then eventually go solid amber.

I re-ID's the LCC's to 2, and the process repeats with the same results.

8 Posts

November 12th, 2011 15:00

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The chance of 15 drives going bad in shipping is pretty rare.

Guess i'll reach back out to the seller.

8 Posts

Also, removed a few of the drives, powered the DAE back up and had my hand on the drive top to feel if the disks are spinning up and i didnt feel it spin.  Not sure if thats normal until the LCC's are connected or not.

Also put one of the drives in my other DAE and the same issue is happening there.  Also put a known working drive in the DAE that the erroring drives in and they went green fine.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

interesting, part number is valid but i wonder if somebody re-formatted those drives and now FLARE cannot recognize them.

812 Posts

November 12th, 2011 20:00

Hi Mnemonic,

I understand you added a new DAE to your running clariion. In that case my query is 'was there any error/ warning while adding the DAE/ disks (in NST) to the existing configuration '.

Can you try inserting one of these drive to the existing DAEs (If any free slot is available ),and check the status.

Vipin V.K

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 12th, 2011 22:00

Three replies above

November 17th, 2011 01:00

A few thoughts when it comes to troubleshooting this (assuming of course that there aren't any actual hardware failures or as suggested above, inappropriate reinitialization of the drives)

1) Firstly is the disk supported for the model of array

2) The minimum FLARE code required met

3) Verifying that the DAE model supports the disk

4) Making sure the disk is rated for the back-end bus speed set on the arbitrated loop

To answer the bullet points above, always look to the "Disk and FLARE OE Matrix" guides for the model of the array.  Therefore, in reference to your CX3-20, the guide you will want to refer to is:

"EMC® CX3 UltraScale Series Disk and FLARE OE Matrix"

This specific guide is available on PowerLink via the following breadcrumb trail:

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Hardware/Platforms Documentation > CLARiiON CX3 UltraScale Series Systems > CLARiiON CX3-20 > General Reference

Therefore, stepping through each of the points above:

1) Firstly is the disk supported for the model of array

YES, part number: 005048807 is listed

drive.JPG

2) The minimum FLARE code required met

YES, you are running at least FLARE 24 as noted above

3) Verifying that the DAE model supports the disk

???, cross-referencing the prefix in the model number above with the table below, requires that the DAE be of type:

a) DAE2

b) DAE2P

c) DAE3P (DAE4P)

d) and not a DAE2-ATA

drive2.JPG

4) Making sure the disk is rated for the back-end bus speed set on the arbitrated loop

???, is the back-end bus set to 2Gbps which is the maximum rated speed for that drive (and not 4Gbps for instance)?

5 Posts

November 29th, 2011 11:00

5 Posts

November 29th, 2011 11:00

Replying from my other account but in regards to point 4, the drive is being marked amber before its even hooked up to a back end bus. 

I actually just picked up some brand new 300GB 2Gb/sec CX-2G disks that are supported as well and i have the same issue.

Do i have to set 2Gb/sec on the bus in navisphere before these are recognized?

December 4th, 2011 18:00

Sorry for the late reply but it looks like you found the answer on your own.  The link appears to be unique to your PowerLink session at the time as it doesn't come up for me; however, I'll assume that it talks about, the fact, that the back-end bus must be set to the lowest common denominator.

Therefore, if you have even a single disk that is rated for only 2Gbps but all else (disk or DAE) happens to support both 2Gbps and 4Gbps, for instance, the bus must be configured to accommodate the slowest common speed.  With this in mind, if available, one advantage of having multiple back-end buses allow you to separate such hardware.  Whether using Navisphere or Unisphere, this is accomplished via the wizard by the same name:

"Backend Bus Speed Reset Wizard"

As you'll see when you initiate the wizard, you'll want to plan accordingly as noted in the screenshot below:

backend.JPG

No Events found!